What is the true image size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the true image size?

I recently downloaded a photo to some software to shrink the photo which worked. The program was "Imagewell." After editing the picture to 106 kb in size I transfered the photo to Aperture and iphoto. Both programs agree with the size of Image well. I then transferred the image to photoshop and it stated the image size was about 320 kb. I wonder who to believe. Thanks.

Mark

Re: What is the true image size?

Was the 320KB file open or closed when you read the size?
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Thanks for replying. The file was open in photoshop.

Comment

Photoshop does not show the file size, but the size the image use in RAM. To view the file size, check the actual file on the hard disc. That would be the most accurate way.

Comment

If you are looking at the Document Size from the lower left screen pull down menu, then PS displays the actual size of the opened, uncompressed document. You can verify this by doing Image>Image Size and look at the image dimensions in pixels or from the Histogram palette if you have enabled Show Document Dimensions. The size id the Length x Width x 3 Bytes for an 8 bit RGB image (1 pixel per channel). When you save a file as a JPG the resulting file is compressed, the amount of which depends on which compression quality you chose (1 = smallest file size, lowest quality; 12 = largest / highest). The file also contains a block of Metadata (date, file info, etc). The only way to tell the size of the physical file on your hard drive is to right click on its icon and check the properties box or hover your mouse over the file to see the stored file size. The size of the file on disk will usually be many times smaller than the opened document in active RAM.
          Regards, Murray

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sirrduke2010
            How to size things in Photoshop?
            by sirrduke2010
            I used to think it was easy to size in Photoshop and then I discovered that the images I resized in Photoshop weren't the size I sized them for. In other words I resized an image to 100 kb only to find out that the image was 10kb after the sizing. Checking the size of an image in Photoshop for me...
            01-14-2011, 08:01 PM
          • ogee
            How to reduce an image size
            by ogee
            I have downloaded a large number of professionally scanned pages from old newspapers and the files are huge (5MB+)...I would like to share a large number of them but want to lessen the file size as well as highlight passages on each page without increasing the file size. I also want to be able to print...
            11-21-2013, 12:34 PM
          • Rex
            Image Size
            by Rex
            What ho one and all,

I'm working on some tiff images, the originals being NEF files. They are saved as approx. 5000 x 3400 pixels (A3) and the file size is listed as 99.6mb. That is usually how I like things.

But these images take forever to load, and even longer to...
            11-26-2014, 04:40 PM
          • phili1
            Downloading pictures
            by phili1
            I am haveing alot of trouble downloading pictures.

Example I downloaded a challange Guitar charlie which had a pixel width of 547 and height of 711 from this sight.

I redid it and tried to send back the same size and it told me its to large.

So I reduce...
            12-16-2002, 07:34 AM
          • mama alligator
            File size too big?
            by mama alligator
            I've been trying to post new entries but three or four times now I get a message that the file is too big.
            According to the Image Size reading on my Photoshop 6.0.
            the one I just tried to upload said it was 1.71kb. Others that didn't go through were all under the 200kb limit.
            Do...
            10-08-2002, 04:53 AM
          Working...
          X