No announcement yet.

Healing brush with soft or hard brush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing brush with soft or hard brush?

I'm just reading a book "Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers" and the authors says that healing brush is "best used at full opacity and with a hard brush (just about the opposite of the clone stamp tool)".
    I didn't know that. I always used healing brush with soft brush. What do you think about it?

Re: Healing brush with soft or hard brush?

I pretty much use a soft skinny healing brush at an angle looks like a slightly wider / or \ shape oval works for me....

http://vimeo.com/14344363

Comment

Soft brushes are more sensitive to bringing blurry texture into your images, that's why you'd rather use a harder brush (or a smaller one, that'll make it "harder" as well).

Personally I use the clone stamp with a rather hard brush (~80%) as well though.

Comment

Originally posted by julianmarsalis View Post
        I pretty much use a soft skinny healing brush at an angle looks like a slightly wider / or \ shape oval works for me....

http://vimeo.com/14344363
        Nice video. I noticed you are using Portraiture. I just downloaded this plugin and I'm little bit confused by the sliders "fine, medium, large". I noticed you used different setting on each adjustment. Can you talk about what these sliders do?

Comment

It all depends on the subject. If it's highly textured, you have to be careful with the soft brush as mentioned, because it can add blur. Sometimes a combination of the two works best. There is no "cure all" technique on a job I've noticed. Just time saver ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Der_W View Post
            Soft brushes are more sensitive to bringing blurry texture into your images, that's why you'd rather use a harder brush (or a smaller one, that'll make it "harder" as well).
            This. Soft edges introduce soft texture as well as low opacity.

I always heal at 100% with completely hard edge.

Comment

It works faster with hard edge

Comment

yup, never down the hardness below 75, always working with heal at 75 to 100 , mostly 100.

that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by santoro80 View Post
                  Nice video. I noticed you are using Portraiture. I just downloaded this plugin and I'm little bit confused by the sliders "fine, medium, large". I noticed you used different setting on each adjustment. Can you talk about what these sliders do?
                  Not my video its by Sean Armenta I just recalled he used a similar shaped brush in the video and I don't own Portraiture I am a Frequency Separate Inverted High pass kind of guy myself with my soft brush lol....

Comment

I use my healing brush a la Sean Armenta style. Skinny, angled, and at 0% hardness.

That said, I think at the end of the day it's personal preference. Whatever you think provides you what you need which greatest predictability and reliability.

Fashion B&W Workshop February 26th, 2011!

Comment