Evening out skin color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evening out skin color

I've been trying to get to the next level in my retouching and I've learned a lot here recently. I read, watch some tutorials ask questions and then try to apply what I've learned.

I'm a bit stuck when it comes to getting even skin tones and consistent skin color. I can do a pretty respectable job of cleaning up blemishes, lightening and smoothing wrinkles. I can (slowly) even out darker or lighter patches using a D&B softlight layer. It's often a pixel by pixel process but it seems to work.

Where I struggle most is getting the skin color even and consistent. For example, getting the reddish patch off of the nose or pulling the purplish tint out of a part of a shadow.

My target is not porcelain doll smooth. I want natural, realistic results. Natural looking texture and natural looking color but without ugly tints or discolored patches.

I don't necessarily need step-by-step instructions but I could really use what techniques you use and how you apply them. Just as important, how do you evaluate skin color for what needs to be "fixed" and what color that fix should be.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan

Re: Evening out skin color

I tend to struggle with even skin color too but this is what I've found works best.

* On a new layer, change the blend mode to color
    * Using a very soft brush, with the flow set to 10% or less, choose an appropriate color from the surrounding area.
    * Very gently blend in the color in the bad area.

If you need to reduce just one tone in certain areas, like blotchy redness:

*create a new hue/saturation layer and choose the color you're trying to affect; you can use the eyedropper tool in the dialogue to be more specific
    * reduce the saturation or change the lightness of the color, but again with a soft brush just mask out over the color you're trying to affect.

You can get more even skin color by pushing the yellows toward the reds and the reds toward the yellows in a hue/saturation dialogue as well.

Comment

Thanks, madclark!

I use color blending mode as well do deal with the issue. I guess color replacement tool also can work in this case, will try next time!
      Last edited by shumski; 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM. Reason: work not works

Comment

Thank you Madclark! I'm doing similar things but not as directed. It really helps to have kinda set plan to start.

Comment

I did a video tutorial yesterday about some adjustment layers that I use on a regular basis to help me see and fix problems with luminosity, saturation and hue.
          At least the last two could be interesting for you as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBK83DZpdEQ

Comment

Originally posted by Der_W View Post
            I did a video tutorial yesterday about some adjustment layers that I use on a regular basis to help me see and fix problems with luminosity, saturation and hue.
            At least the last two could be interesting for you as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBK83DZpdEQ
            Awesome work thanks I really like what you have done here kudos...

Comment

I'm eager to watch these tonight. I wish I spoke German so I could follow all of them
              Originally posted by Der_W View Post

Comment

Just tell me which ones you need and I'll try to do English versions of them :-)!

Comment