B&W image conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B&W image conversions

Hi everyone. I am looking for some tips/links/tutorials on how to do RGB image to B&W conversion. I don't just want to press B&W conversion in photoshop I rather look for some more advanced techniques. Thank for your help

Re: B&W image conversions

There are more than a dozen ways to go from RGB to B&W, but you are correct that most of them are single command executions. For more accuracy, control, and creativity, try a B&W Adjustment layer in PS or use a HDR software with a Tone Mapping module.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

I have tried to convert to grayscale and then do mode>duotone .Quiet new to this. But would like to hear if anyone practice this way. RGB>grayscale and then gives a play around in duotone mode or others.

Comment

Here's a pretty good article on it.
        http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/201...n-black-white/

Comment

@neb. I like to use tritone to enhance B/W - normally black and 2 greys. You have to fiddle with the curves to get the right proportion of each and every image is different so trial and error is necessary to get it right. Many years ago, when designing brochures for Ilford, the B/W photo company, I had the priviledge of having original photographs of Bresson, Lartigue, Adams etc in my care. The quality of those B/W prints proved to me that photography was an art. In order to reproduce those images in a catalogue we printed them as duotones (black and very light grey). It really helped capture the tonal feel of the originals. IMO, those masters achieved tones in their B/W prints which most of us can only dream about.

Comment

repairmen I can only sit now and dream about that opportunity you had.
            Talking about curves when using lets say tritones or quadtones it seems to me curves works different from normal ones. Maybe it is just me but cant find how to disable the black dot on the curve I nearly got crossed but realise later have to learn that too.

Anyway did you learned it from a particular site or forum? Thank you.

Comment

thehjj thank you.My bookmarks are getting fatThough it is basic technique in my opinion I know I will come back your link again and again.

Comment

I agree with Murray, B & W layer, or an HDR program are the most powerful to deal with B and W, they both have a lot of alternatives to adjust to your like.... On the other hand Silver Effects Pro is also a good plug in for this kind of works.

Comment

Here’s a good one too:
                  http://photoshopnews.com/2009/03/19/...te-conversion/

Comment

Hey Andrew: That's a pretty cool video, thanx for posting the link...

Comment

bonneapetit one think I am a bit confused is HDR processing on a single image. I thought for HDR processing you need multiply images . Correct me please. Thank you

Comment

Thank you andrewrodney, very interesting link. I will definitely try this one too.

Comment

Originally posted by nebulaoperator View Post
                          bonneapetit one think I am a bit confused is HDR processing on a single image. I thought for HDR processing you need multiply images . Correct me please. Thank you
                          Yes, you are right, pure HDR needs at least 3 different exposures, I've seen some works of people using as much as 9 exposures. What I do is the following: Convert original file (photo) to TIF, and create different exposures of it as TIF also, using Camera Raw. But it's not always necesary to create different exposures, because some pictures are so good they don't need extra exposures, just run them thru your HDR tonemapping program, settings, and you are good to go. This is called Faux HDR or Pseudo HDR. After that, I re-process the HDR result in Photoshop, using various features of the program. Brightness and contrast, Denoising the HDR result etc.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Hi nebulaoperator,
                            You didn't mention what software you have, or I missed it, but if you have Capture One, try the B&W profiles from JFI Labs - http://www.jfilabs.com/. The film set for $19.95 is the one I would recommend. These are profiles are made specifically to be used in Capture One, used in place of the standard profile for your camera. You choose the film you would like to emulate and then do the adjustments to the raw file from there. Best tonal transitions I've seen. There are plugin programs that also let you choose a specific film type, but in my opinion are not nearly as good as the JFI profiles.

Comment

Boneappetit, thank ou this is very helpful. Was not aware I can do faux HDR. great tips. I saw some works of your HDR processing. Great work.

Comment