Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What techniques do you use to add skin texture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What techniques do you use to add skin texture?

I keep running into some of my photos that are slightly out of focus and skin texture is almost gone. Whats the best way to add texture? Here's the full photo.
    Attached Files

Re: What techniques do you use to add skin texture

I use high pass in this kind of situation.

Comment

Do you crank it up on skin like this? Or keep it low?

Comment

I'd say get the right focus out of the lens first, retouching is just a medium, if the input is bad there's not much a retoucher can do.

Comment

As Dropt remarked, work on getting your subject matter clearly in focus; the shot is well-lit, composed, etc.

What you do in post will be much better for having a good starting image. But if the image captured was less than ideal (blurred/out of focus, in this case) then it becomes very challenging to correct it without the image become plastic-like, or otherwise unrealistically textured.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOscar View Post
            Do you crank it up on skin like this? Or keep it low?
            I think he means you could use the high pass filter to steal texture/extract detail from a sharper frame. Really you'd be looking at a lot of warping and building in tiny parts at a time to get it right. You'd also have to make sure it's not clashing with any bits of texture the image still has. Using it on a blurry frame isn't going to give you more detail.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone. I might be having a focus issue with my 7D. The focus point can be right of the face and still look this blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsOscar View Post
                Thanks for the tips everyone. I might be having a focus issue with my 7D. The focus point can be right of the face and still look this blurry.
                If you're focusing and recomposing, that's likely the issue. There's also a chance that your glass needs a pretty big AF adjustment. You might consider renting a calibration target.

Comment

you could add noise to the red channel.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest manipulating in extra skin texture here. I think you will get sufficient texture by adding some sharpening. Remember, this is not a close-up portrait, you will not really see all the small pores anyway - they are like a pixel big...

(See attachement. I went a bit heavy perhaps, but it shows what I mean).

If you have a problem with the entire picture being blurry and without fine detail, you might as a last resort add some fine noise to the image to make it appear slightly sharper. Do this after sharpening and everything else. Suggestion: gray layer, add noise... (some low setting), overlay blend mode or similar. Possibly with a mask.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Also , shooting at f14 when the lens lowest aperture number is 2.8 could make the image less sharp, depending on brand and model.
                      Do a couple of test shots on text or anything that is still, at different apertures and then see where the lens makes the sharpest image.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful.

Comment