this super smooth skin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this super smooth skin...

please tell me its not DnB only... or I'll be giving up retouching now!

http://www.jeffersondealmeida.com.br...-H.Stern1_.jpg

its a katie holmes picture for a jewellery ad... besides make up + great large octa and a long lens (you can see it in the catchlights... not even a medium format it seems)

Re: this super smooth skin...

Well, it looks like DnB to me... Of course, retouchers use some extra process. Maybe color adjustments and/or sharpening...
    Also bear in mind the shooting set !

Comment

I don't know why but I get a slight Portraiture vibe from the skin.

Comment

That looks like D&B to me, on good skin, good make-up, excellent lighting. I don't think there is anything special going on other then that. I don't see what is so unusual about this image.

Comment

It is super smooth... not unusual... just suuuper smooth.

I understand the shooting set up and its importance (i am a photographer). but I think there is some degree of split freq and blur going on!

Comment

Well, I consider freq. separation to be part of the normal process these days for beauty retouching. One can mask down the high frequency to lessen texture, or if split three ways, to high light and dark, mask the dark high frequency back even more. Does that make sense? All I am saying is that I don't think there is any special techniques being used, but the retoucher had purposely taken it to this level, but likely using techniques that aren't any big secret. I don't think it is a plug-in or some new technique.

The reason I say that is because the direction of the hair and grain on the skin looks authentic.

Comment

pushing all the values of the skin colour close to each other as here makes it easier... by the look the model probably has naturally really good skin

here's a "quality check"... and besides a couple of spots... 1 on the inner hand, and one red spot on he cheek, the skin is quite clean indeed

.. but the original skin texture appears to be there (something that usually gets messed up by pixel-level dnb) ... so probably cleanup on mid-freq, and heal with splitting where needed (tho just guessing )
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Siciliana View Post
                Well, I consider freq. separation to be part of the normal process these days for beauty retouching. One can mask down the high frequency to lessen texture, or if split three ways, to high light and dark, mask the dark high frequency back even more. Does that make sense?
                this three way split you mentioned sounds interesting... I haven't seen this technique around and I am personally struggling with some darker pores with a few shots I have done for a job.

shot to a good to high standard... amazing model + make up. All lit with profoto beautydish and shot with an 85 prime. yet I killing myself on DnB and still not satisfied!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowLight View Post
                  pushing all the values of the skin colour close to each other as here makes it easier... by the look the model probably has naturally really good skin

here's a "quality check"... and besides a couple of spots... 1 on the inner hand, and one red spot on he cheek, the skin is quite clean indeed

.. but the original skin texture appears to be there (something that usually gets messed up by pixel-level dnb) ... so probably cleanup on mid-freq, and heal with splitting where needed (tho just guessing )
                  that sounds convincing... would you say this is a 3 way split then?

also... any tips on best workflow to tackle skin colours?

Comment

Originally posted by P_fuzz View Post
                    this three way split you mentioned sounds interesting... I haven't seen this technique around and I am personally struggling with some darker pores with a few shots I have done for a job.

shot to a good to high standard... amazing model + make up. All lit with profoto beautydish and shot with an 85 prime. yet I killing myself on DnB and still not satisfied!
                    I believe the lighting is one of these with diffusion on the front:
                    http://www.google.com/search?q=bries...w=1357&bih=973

http://www.google.com/search?q=bronc...w=1357&bih=973

Comment

Originally posted by P_fuzz View Post
                      that sounds convincing... would you say this is a 3 way split then?

also... any tips on best workflow to tackle skin colours?
                      it's a pure guess when it comes to the split, I would rather look at what you have to work with (the model) and see what's best strategy for her/his skin.

if you are missing mid-frequencies in the image, that's usually sign of what Portraiture does (or some other plugins). but it's very hard to tell here (because of the highkey)

re:lighting I think Wolfman is correct (check the reflection in the eyes)

but again.. the skin's key is pushed way up
                      so I would suggest you try cleaning up the skin before toning
                      then set the high-key, and below (the hk adj. layers) you place Selective Color and push the absolute Red's Black values way down...

disclaimer: if I said something stupid...
                      it's because I haven't had my coffee yet :P
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ShadowLight; 09-22-2011, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                        you are right... I really have a a major desire to use those parabolic in a shoot one day!

btw, it does look like the photographer is using a DSLR, judging by his arms position... and that surprised me the most! but then I remembered the 'Blad series H have a similar grip to DSLRs...

Comment

judging from the file info, the camera is a Leica S2...

Comment