Navigating an Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navigating an Image

I just stubled across this by accident (it may have been mentioned before here, but if it was, I missed it)
    In Photoshop (I'm using 7, but I would be surprised if it was different in previous versions) when you're working on an image with, let's say the clone tool for example, if you press hold down the space bar while clicking and moving, it temporarily changes to the Hand tool so you can navigate the image without actually switching tools. when you release the space bar, it goes back to the tool you were using before. This is one thing I missed about GIMP, since in there you can navigate around just by clicking the middle mouse button, I hadn't figured out the equivilent in photoshop before now. I find this most useful when I'm working in full screen mode (I like the mode where its only the image on screen = Tab + F + F) so I can move around the image quickly without having to have the Navigator dialog on my screen.

- David

Thank you, thank you, thank you David. I have been clicking everything since ps 5 trying to find a way to do that. Thanks a lot.
    Debbie

Comment

FYI, you can also press the space bar while you're in the process of creating a selection marquee (rectangular and elliptical) to move the selection. Releasing the space bar (while still holding the mouse button) puts you back into sizing the selection. When I learned this it REALLY made the marquee tool a lot easier to use!

Jeanie

Comment

Debbie - No problem, glad to help.

Jeanie - great tip! I was wondering if there was a way to do that.

- David

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• bestremera
          Polygon Lasso tool closes by itself
          by bestremera
          My polygon lasso tool closes by itself before I complete the selection. After I make several clicks, the screen blinks and the tool has closed the link at the last point. I'm pretty good with the pen tool but I still want my lasso to work when things just need something simple and easy.
          How...
          02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
        • Jarviz
          A question about the Magnetic Lasso Tool
          by Jarviz
          When I'm trying to cut something out using the Magnitic Lasso tool, I zoom in on the photo and follow the edge but I get to the point where I need to scroll the photo along. The only way I can do this now is to put the lasso tool past the edge of the photo but I loose all control of the tool.
          01-18-2003, 02:24 PM
        • Morph1
          Photoshop - Polygonal Lasso Trace
          by Morph1
          Just wondering if there is some kind of solution as I am sick and tired of this happening over and over, I mean there has to be a simple solution that I am not aware of....,
          The problem is when I trace an image with a polygonal lasso tool and I do prefer to do this manually oppose to using Magnetic...
          03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
        • kerriann85
          magic lasso goes zooming!
          by kerriann85
          Help! When I use the magic lasso tool to select something in a photo and I get close to the edge of the picture, the tool takes off on it's own, zooming off into space toward the edge of the screen! Then I have to start all over. This is driving me nuts. Can anyone explain this and tell me how to keep...
          11-04-2004, 01:47 PM
        • Kim
          Moving around an image
          by Kim
          How do you move around a zoomed (up close) image where part of it is off the screen while in the middle of selecting it ?

Thanks,
          Kim
          04-19-2005, 07:31 AM
        Working...
        X