Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on changing this colour

Hi all,

I need to change the orange strip on this dress to black so that it merges in with the rest of the dress.

I need to retain the texture and tones in the area to be changed so that it looks real.

Any advice on how to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo
    Attached Files

Re: Advice on changing this colour

Couple curves + a fine brushing - blending color
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chillin. Could you please go into more detail please.

So first I select the area and then.......

Comment

Or alternatively, you could:

1)

Comment

Hi Longside,

I think you might have missed off most of your message.

Comment

oops sorry!

I'll carry on!

You could:

1) Desaturate the image and mask out the desaturated areas so that only the troublesome collar is desaturated;
            2) Create a new blank layer and set to color blend mode;
            3) paint on the desaturated collar in black.

Job done.

Alternatively you can try a diff blend mode to color, like multiply to test the results.

cheers

Comment

Longside; Uhm, painting with black with color blend mode over a desaturated area will do absolutely nothing...
              But we agree on step 1)...

1) Desaturate collar using a hue/saturation (or vibrance).
              2) Set that layer to Color blend mode (to avoid strengthening "color" noise).
              3) Curves layer masked to the collar only. Start by pulling down the middle of the curve. Fine-tune until happy.

You might need several separate curves layers to different parts of the collar. So the key here is limiting the adjustments using masks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chain View Post
                Longside; Uhm, painting with black with color blend mode over a desaturated area will do absolutely nothing...
                But we agree on step 1)...

1) Desaturate collar using a hue/saturation (or vibrance).
                2) Set that layer to Color blend mode (to avoid strengthening "color" noise).
                3) Curves layer masked to the collar only. Start by pulling down the middle of the curve. Fine-tune until happy.

You might need several separate curves layers to different parts of the collar. So the key here is limiting the adjustments using masks.
                Ha, you're right! I was guessing a bit as I'm away from my home pc! Thanks for correcting

Comment

I wonder if using a split frequency and painting on a layer clipped to the low freq layer would be an alternative technique?

Comment

Originally posted by KTG View Post
                    I wonder if using a split frequency and painting on a layer clipped to the low freq layer would be an alternative technique?
                    No. Not really.

Edit:
                    Hum, I thought this was another thread. Sorry, hehe.
                    Anyway, what we want to do here is change saturation and brightness. So splitting it to do this separately for low and high frequencies seems pointless as we need the same adjustment for all frequencies.
                    Last edited by Chain; 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

That's nailed it. Thanks a million for that. It looks great.

Ricardo

Comment