Why am I getting this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I getting this?

Lately, as I play with colors, I'm seeing issues with these 'color banding' type of effects. Does anyone have thoughts on what may be causing it and how I can resolve this?

http://s18.postimage.org/v10c2a3w9/example.jpg

I currently shoot in Adobe RGB RAW> Bring to LR in Adobe RGB 16 bit > Edit in Photoshop in Adobe RGB Color Space 16 bit > Export in LR in sRGB for web.

Re: Why am I getting this?

even in camera raw an image can only take so much manipulation. Removing color noise will fix this somewhat but will also soften the image. Avoiding extreme shifts in color would be the best prevention...what is happening is that as you play with the colors tiny variations are accentuated so much that they show up on screen. HTH - Nancy

Comment

I think it is worthwhile checking your preferences in LR and making sure of your capture in camera:
      Camera - make sure you are actually shooting in RAW
      LR - AFAIK editing in LR is in ProPhoto by default

It is possible that you are introducing banding by stepping in and out of different editing spaces.

Instead of going back to LR after editing in PS have you tried Save for Web in PS. This should give you a suitable 8 bit sRGB image and may help you with banding issues

Comment

when you develop RAW you sharpen the image in LR before export
        those can be slight halos from sharpening, which get exaggerated after post corrections

in LR, try to set Details>Sharpening>Amount: 0,
        and see if the problem gets solved

in combination with that there could be some colour-noise leftovers from the NR,
        where around edges the NR is not good enough to clean it up
        (turning-off NR will help you pin down the source of the problem)

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ysbryd
          Please help - RAW desaturating and altering hue
          by ysbryd
          Hi,

I use a Canon 400D, with sRGB setting. I get the image as I want it in the camera, and it looks the same when I preview it on my laptop, but as soon as I open it in RAW (in CS4 - also set to sRGB 8 bit), or select 'develop' in Lightroom, the image changes hue and washes out. It's...
          04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
        • cesdls
          Lightroom and color space issues
          by cesdls
          I recently posted a short tutorial and video on my website at http://www.craigstocksarts.com/tutor...lor_gamut.html where I attempted to explain why Lightroom's output frequently doesn't match the input. The problem is that LR (and Camera Raw) work in very large color spaces, so you can't really...
          01-27-2012, 05:23 PM
        • skoobey
          Loss in detail TIFF vs RAW???
          by skoobey
          So I was wondering, how far do you guys push the raw before you are satisfied with the conversion?

I found that once it's "balanced", it is easier for me to add color/contrast/whatever adjustments as adjustment layers in photoshop, rather to go trough couple of conversions?...
          10-22-2013, 10:11 AM
        • codeoverride
          Importing Adobe RAW Color Issues
          by codeoverride
          I'm having some trouble with colors. I'm shooting with a Nikon D810 with color space set to Adobe RGB and opening in Camera Raw 9.1.1 set to Adobe RGB 98. The files always seem desaturated in camera RAW when compared to the back of the camera and even the OS X Preview application. Please see image attached....
          02-16-2016, 10:45 PM
        • vuk8691
          Problems with camera raw color profile
          by vuk8691
          Hi,

When I open a photo in Camera Raw, colors are washed out and when they switch in photoshop they become stronger and different. I have a HP2475w monitor calibrated using spyder3elite tool. I was set the Color settings in Photoshop to the calibrated settings while the camera raw does...
          10-12-2010, 04:31 AM
        Working...
        X