How do you get skin tones like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get skin tones like this?

I'm a big fan of the natural look. I like these brownish looking skintones but Im not quite sure how they are achieved. Obviously it looks like the image has been desaturated, but is there anything else to give skin this brownish natural looking tone?

I think I'm starting to realize that it matters how you shoot and how much detail is coming into the shot. I tend to shoot on the bright side so it's harder to get skintones to look the way I want. If I shoot for exposing the skin then i think I have more color tones to work with and re-color. I hope that makes sense.
    Attached Files

Re: How do you get skin tones like this?

You just said yourself that you like natural look . Seems like natyral look to me

Comment

That's not my photo, it's what I'm trying to achieve.

Comment

You can change your shooting habits to get your images less than "on the bright side" if that's what you want. This one is brighter and seems that the contrast was taken down a step or two.
        Getting the colors can be done so many ways: Knowing what sequences in color balance; using a color filter on the lens; using the photo filters in PS Adjustments; Layering with blends, yada, yada, yada. This appears to be a film image, maybe a slide and, without a date, it's impossible to venture a guess as to how its effects were done.
        Just gotta keep trying different ways, being sure to make notes so you don't end up with a one-time success.

Comment

My thoughts are it was shot by using a warming filter and/or a warming bounce reflector next to the model. Most likely shot dusk or dawn to further soften the light around her.

Comment

looks like a faint cross process look

apply adjustment layer > channel mixer
            then in the blue channel reduce blue value to 0 and red to 100
            you will find that the face is now red

adjust opacity on layer for desired effect

then play with hue/saturation red-magenta values, mask out what ever after

Comment

Originally posted by RetouchYourself View Post
              My thoughts are it was shot by using a warming filter and/or a warming bounce reflector next to the model. Most likely shot dusk or dawn to further soften the light around her.
              That's quite probable. I think the OP should consider the question, "how do I get this lighting?" first rather than zero in on the color. The lighting and tones are creating much of the look. If you totally desaturated the image, that effect would still be there. You could get a lot of that color with the right curves. The skintone will most likely need some separate adjustment from the overall image, which is normal. You just need to get the right look. I can see some of the work that was done, and where it appears to be contoured. Those eyes are quite retouched, but they may have also had some fill. This really isn't difficult to reverse engineer if the lighting and exposure are there.

Comment

And what lightning is this?

Comment

Originally posted by lunaxxxxxx View Post
                  And what lightning is this?
                  Take a look at it. It's backlit, looks like natural lighting with some fill, and a lot of post work. If you just take a random generic shot and use adjustment layers to make the skin that overall hue and density, do you really expect a good match to the look and feel?

This is something that's frequently missed. If you wanted to compare, with another photo you could always desaturate both in color blending mode and compare the flow of the lighting without being distracted by the color. I'm not saying one has nothing to do with the other. it's just that I could give something a similar hue and density without you feeling a real connection between the two.

Comment