I need to stain this deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to stain this deck

I've been asked to give this new deck a stained look,dark brown or mahogany .

Color replace tool has never been good to me . Any advise would be welcomed .

http://www.box.com/shared/static/919...5c1b893ae4.jpg

Re: I need to stain this deck

make selection of the deck, copy it to its own layer, on top of the background layer, this is a must do step, the rest, as usal, there are many ways to chive end result in PS.
    In my case, I would take the easy way out, on the top of the deck selection layer, create a Solid Color adjustment layer, set color to RGB 173, 77, 19 , set blend mode to "Color Burn" set layer opacity to taste, I used 78% make sure to "clip" the solid color to the selection layer otherwise every thing will be brown.. on top of solid color, create "curves layer", darken to taste, leave it at "normal" or change mode to Luminosity, again, clip it, this time, to solid color layer. It all depends, there are million shades to Mahogany.

I did not spent the time to do good selection.
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow , wicked ! Thanks so much . This gets me going in the right direction. .

Comment

I used few targeted curves to match a sample from an existing deck.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thompson's water seal..... beyond that I usually use channel mixer for this kind of thing.

Comment

There are many ways to do this but a very effective way to significantly alter color is to do it in LAB color mode. Take the image into LAB color mode, make your selection and add a curves adjustment layer. Choose a mid tone part of the selected area an adjust the color by setting a point in the A channel and B channel. Then adjust the L Channel to the brightness you would like. Convert the result back to RGB.
            Regards, Murray
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your efforts. This one looks the most realistic to my eye. And, thanks to all for taking the time to help me out. Hope I get to return the favor sometime....

Comment

I used the Replace color in CS5.
                It also does the hand rail.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cupcake View Post
                  I used the Replace color in CS5.
                  It also does the hand rail.
                  This looks real.

Comment