Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preserve color when converting to sRGB and CMYK??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserve color when converting to sRGB and CMYK??

Okay, so I edit in Adobe RGB 8bit, as it saves me lots of time when saving and opening a file and I don't see any benefits from 16bit so far, so don't shoot me I might be wrong on that.

NOW, I've noticed that colors go all over the place when I convert the image from Adobe RGB 8bit to sRGB.

I notice it both when assigning a color profile through Edit>Convert to profile

and when I export it for web

How do I keep the appearance when converting to sRGB and CMYK?

Re: Preserve color when converting to sRGB and CMY

On 16 bit vs 8bit, you may not be seeing a difference with your eyes, but there is a MAJOR difference in the image.e are zillions of examples and explanations if you Google "Edit 8bit vs 16 bit".
    When you do Edit>Convert to Profile you should not see a difference when when you actaully make the conversion. If you are then closing / saving the file and then re-opening the file, if you see a difference is is because:
    1. You do not have the correct settings in Edit>Color Settings. Check to make sure that you have checked the 3 boxes for Missing and Mismatched Profiles which Adobe now leaves unchecked by default (unfortunately). So for example if you are working in AdobeRGB and you open a file which does not have an embedded profile, PS will assume that the file is AdobeRGB and if the file is not, then the color and saturation will look different. Similarly, and depending on what default settings you have in the Color Settings Panel, if your warning boxes are turned off, and you open a file that has a color profile different from your woring space (in this case AdobeRGB), PS will not warn you and it may automatically convert the image you are opening to AdobeRGB or it might discard whatever color profile the file contains and not manage color at all.
    When you upload files to a web server, and view with a browser, they usually look different because most browsers do not manage color, they strip off embedded profiles and treat the files as if they are equivalent to sRGB.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Well, saturation definitely changes and also things do turn red or yellow depending on the image when I go to sRGB, less so when I turn image to CMYK...

Where shall I set it under "Color settings" it is under "North America General Purpose" right now, and all those markers you mentioned are checked?

Comment

Originally posted by mistermonday View Post
        On 16 bit vs 8bit, you may not be seeing a difference with your eyes, but there is a MAJOR difference in the image.e are zillions of examples and explanations if you Google "Edit 8bit vs 16 bit".
        When you do Edit>Convert to Profile you should not see a difference when when you actaully make the conversion.
        I hope you're not suggesting that using 8 instead of 16 produces color shifts. The times you're likely to notice the benefit of 16 bpc are with with annoying colors like blue skies. You're less likely to encounter banding at 16. It doesn't affect gamut. It affects distribution, not perceived color.

Comment

Well, I can tell you right away that putting two images next to each other gives out a difference I can spot with naked eye.

Um could it be that images appear different in preview and in web browsers?

Comment

If you do Edit > Convert to profile > sRGB and save the file as a JPEG, then open the saved JPEG in a web browser, your Photoshop sRGB window and your web browser shouldn't have the file looking different. Is that what you're saying is happening?

Comment

Originally posted by kav View Post
              I hope you're not suggesting that using 8 instead of 16 produces color shifts. The times you're likely to notice the benefit of 16 bpc are with with annoying colors like blue skies. You're less likely to encounter banding at 16. It doesn't affect gamut. It affects distribution, not perceived color.
              The 8 vs 16 bit was mentioned in Skoobey's 1st paragraph. I am not sure why the OP was started that way but 8 vs 16 is a totally different topic than the color shift problem. The color shift problem skoobey has has nothing to do with whether he is editing in 8 or 16. The problem has to do with color management.
              Regards, Murray

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                Well, saturation definitely changes and also things do turn red or yellow depending on the image when I go to sRGB, less so when I turn image to CMYK...

Where shall I set it under "Color settings" it is under "North America General Purpose" right now, and all those markers you mentioned are checked?
                No, NA General Purpose will set your RGB workspace to sRGB not Adobe RGB. You can custom set it or choose North America Prepress 2. Also under Color Management Policies set all 3 pull down menus to read Preserve Embedded Profiles.

Regards, Murray

Comment

Kudos to you, mistermonday, I must have changed the settings by mistake, it is what it should be now.

I am such an idiot.

Comment

One additional warning if you are using CS5. If for some reason Photoshop shuts down unexpectedly (due to power failure, program fatal error, plugin error, or program not responding quickly enough to a user issued PC Shut Down command, some of the PS preferences get wiped out. Notably, the color settings get reset and all the check boxes get unchecked and the default colorspace changes (back to sRGB if I recall correctly). I am not sure why this now happens in CS5 and it may have something to do with the 64 bit Win7 OS version). Just be aware of it because I learned the hard wayruining a number of images because there is no way to tell it's happened unless you check the color settings.
                    Regards, Murray

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                      noticed this too. guess when you drop a big gammet like RGB to sRGB it forces it raising the saturation.

Comment