Question for Professional Hi-End Retouchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Professional Hi-End Retouchers

This is just a question for professional retouchers, the ones who have or are working in amazing studios or had their retouched photos in quite a few reputable ads, magazines, etc.

Where did the bulk of your learning come from? Whether it's some technique know-how, all the way to advanced dodging and burning. Did you you learn the bulk of it from tutorials online, purchased DVD and books AND/OR was majority of your skill sets learned from on the job experience via other retouchers or etc?

I realize there is only so much you can teach yourself so I had always wondered about those of you who have "made it," where did the bulk of your learned skill set actually come from?

Thanks!

Re: Question for Professional Hi-End Retouchers

You can teach yourself a lot. The problem is deciding which materials are worth studying and which are crap. It's not enough to know what works. You also have to know what doesn't work, and the best way to learn that is in the midst of a crushing deadline screaming down on top of you, when look at the proof and get that sinking feeling, knowing it needs another round, thinking "Wow. I won't try that again."

As for DVDs, scroll through this forum. There are discussions on a variety of products, and intelligent, informed commentary that should give you an idea what's worth your money, what should be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by edgework View Post
      You also have to know what doesn't work, and the best way to learn that is in the midst of a crushing deadline screaming down on top of you, when look at the proof and get that sinking feeling, knowing it needs another round, thinking "Wow. I won't try that again."

As for DVDs, scroll through this forum. There are discussions on a variety of products, and intelligent, informed commentary that should give you an idea what's worth your money, what should be avoided.
      Thank you for the response! Yeah, I'm just trying to see where the majority of peoples learning actually came from IE real life experience vs "book learning"

Comment

It's been mentioned here a bunch before (I actually found the book through this forum)...but Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction by Dan Margulis I found to be an amazing read. From what I understand, it's a bit of a color bible in the retouching world, for good reason. I will say though, it does teach from a pure technical standpoint (editing by numbers) vs by eye. He even mentions the ability of color blind people being able to edit better than those that CAN see color. I def recommend it though, I doubt you'd regret it.

Comment