Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove oily "shine" on face...

...but maintain texture?

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker on here for a while and there's a lot of great knowledge on this forum. I'm primarily an automotive photographer, but when I was asked to shoot a calendar full of import models for the magazine I work on staff with, I said "okay." So here I am, a fish out of water trying my best at beauty retouching. The look of everything is pretty edgy and contrasty, so I'm not trying to go super smoothed over looking with it.

Thankfully MOST of the 12 girls were nicely done up, and had good clear skin. However this one didn't... This is a screen grab from 100% view.

http://photos.napalm.net/clubsi/byde...t3.28.27PM.jpg

I've done a bit of spot removal and honestly she isn't TOO bad but she is definitely too shiny. Can anyone give me some advice on ways to cut down on the shine look but retain the skin texture? Ideally I don't want to have it end up looking too smoothed over, however if it comes down to having it look too smoothed or having it look all shiny, I would rather have it smooth.

Thanks in advance!

-NH

Re: How to remove oily "shine" on face...

You will probably be able to do this by cloning from adjacent areas with the clone tool set to Darken Mode and at around 20% opacity

Comment

You could use frequency separation with some D&B.
      A sample here.

Comment

Painting with a soft brush at 20% opacity and set to Darken seems to work nicely and maintains the original lighting to some extent.

Juergen
        Attached Files

Comment

The skin's shiny, but not totally blown out. You can use the texture that's already there as a mask.

The first shot is just a straight clone and some passes with the healing brush. Aside from screwing up the texture, you lose the natural shape of the lighting. You don't want to just lower the opacity of the clone layer because it will mute everything, not just the shiny parts, and the underlying texture will still look faded and artificial.

Instead, put the cloned layer in difference mode and create a mask from it, as in the second image. When you apply the mask to the cloned layer, you mute the shine but keep the texture. (third shot.)

Some additional work with the healing brush and d & b is clearly called for, but this gets rid of the shine while keeping the lighting.
          Attached Files

Comment

I also used Painting.
            Attached Files

Comment

Did u find a good solution. Tried different ways but ... this one is healing brush and a filter ( gaussian )but did not really work as I hoped.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by edgework View Post
                The skin's shiny, but not totally blown out. You can use the texture that's already there as a mask.

The first shot is just a straight clone and some passes with the healing brush. Aside from screwing up the texture, you lose the natural shape of the lighting. You don't want to just lower the opacity of the clone layer because it will mute everything, not just the shiny parts, and the underlying texture will still look faded and artificial.

Instead, put the cloned layer in difference mode and create a mask from it, as in the second image. When you apply the mask to the cloned layer, you mute the shine but keep the texture. (third shot.)

Some additional work with the healing brush and d & b is clearly called for, but this gets rid of the shine while keeping the lighting.
                Pretty slick. I'll keep that in my list of things to try.
                --Shift Studio.

Comment