Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almost-digital-painted-like retouch

Hello everyone!

I would like to know how to get that result, that many photographers-retouchers get and use on their photos.

The only thing i do and found to get near that result, is denoising more than a bit the image (with a next add virtual noise % for depth). But i'm not sure that is the thing that everyone use.

I saw D&B and tonemappings can help, but i'm not convinced.

Please stay away with answers like "lighting!".

http://pleasantriesandpitbulls.files...0724771756.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos...92121e1d91.jpg

http://m2.paperblog.com/i/23/231052/...-L-ZqNM2c.jpeg
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM. Reason: Deleted NSFW link

Re: almost-digital-painted-like retouch

Personally, I don't find anything unique with the skin retouching. Probably, the effect you are talking about could be the result of the color grading used.

Comment

I'm not speaking only for the skin, but for the entire image. Anyway, you think that the digital painting feel they have, it's just the result of the various color grading used?

Noise is not touched?

Comment

im interested in how the 3rd is done.

contrast is evident but doing it in that transition seems to evade me.

Comment

Add BW adjustment layer on top of your layer stack, set mode to Softlight, adjust (lower) opacity to taste. This is you "contrast". Playing with color sliders on the BW layer will give you control over individual colors. For fun, and real surprise, dupe the BW layer, this time, set mode to Screen, lower opacity to taste. The possibilities are unlimited

Comment

Gonna try that Aladdin! Thanks!

Comment

dvonb You may try dodging and burning with different blending modes on the gray/neutral layer. Then add a some tonal ajustment by using e.g. gradient map. You need to go a bit deeper then the basic ajustment. I'm talking about specification of what that gradient map should cover (shadows, blacks, lights or highlights).

For example the last image. linear light blending mode on gray layer might have been used to extend the lighlights on the hair of the model, then overlay might have been used on shadows of the hair, softlight on the skin. Then the entire image was desaturated a bit. I would've used the hue/saturation ajustment layer. Then gradient map to achive this colour "look". If you would like to increase the contrast, as Alladin suggested - B/W layer in softlight.

Nothing to do with the noise. One might add some to smooth the transistions between shadow and light areas in the image.

Comment

Originally posted by spinq View Post
                dvonb You may try dodging and burning with different blending modes on the gray/neutral layer. Then add a some tonal ajustment by using e.g. gradient map. You need to go a bit deeper then the basic ajustment. I'm talking about specification of what that gradient map should cover (shadows, blacks, lights or highlights).

For example the last image. linear light blending mode on gray layer might have been used to extend the lighlights on the hair of the model, then overlay might have been used on shadows of the hair, softlight on the skin. Then the entire image was desaturated a bit. I would've used the hue/saturation ajustment layer. Then gradient map to achive this colour "look". If you would like to increase the contrast, as Alladin suggested - B/W layer in softlight.

Nothing to do with the noise. One might add some to smooth the transistions between shadow and light areas in the image.
                Thank you spinq, i'm trying various blending modes for different result, but look this as another example:

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos...870e86eb90.jpg

this seems have a very deep cartoon feel, and as you said there is not a strong reduced noise? it seems an half digital paint

Comment

Noise reduction software and filters have been used to smooth out the pores of the skin for a long time. Maybe they used it here or used Surface Blur for instance.
                  Using dodge and burn, can make the images look more cartoony. The background on the Michael Rosen one looks like a Tonemapped image or using some of Topaz filters.

Comment

Im also interested on how to do that. ive benn trying to light with 2 rim lights but the post processing seems to elude me. i dont want to use lucis or topaz because i want to learn how do it in photoshop. what are the main factors of that image to make it look cartoony?

Comment