X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rust
    • Mar 2010

Banding

Hello, I use cs6 and have color graded an image and after several color tweaks i created a subtle vignette with curves and apply it with a radial gradiant . I then see banding appear on the backdrop. But the banding disappear when i zoom in to 66,67%. Have anyone experienced the same problem , is this banding or a bug in photoshop. Thanks for any feedback
  • DaneAlex
    • Apr 2012

Re: Banding

Add noise into the layer that caused the banding. Zoom into 200% and only add enough noise until you see the banding disappear.

Comment

• Rust
      • Mar 2010

I prefer to not add any noise if it`s really not banding but just a bug in cs. Because i don`t see any banding when zooming to 66,67% and closer. Maybe i was a bit unclear but i don`t look for a method to remove banding, i ask if there really is banding or just a bug. The best solution would be a test print, but i don`t have a printer at the moment.

Comment

• Tony W
        • Mar 2010

I doubt that this is a bug of any description with PS but likely to be a monitor/graphics card issue relating to how the image is interpreted on screen by the hardware. If it is only at 66% view then it probably does not actually exist in the file!

Here speaks someone who once tried to correct moire without success only to realise later that it was not baked into the file but a response of the screen with a particular image and a specific zoom ratio
        Last edited by Tony W; 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• 0lBaldy
          • Oct 2007

This thread ( Gradation banding remedies? ) might answer your question " is it banding or just a bug"

Comment

• mistermonday
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rust View Post
            Hello, I use cs6 and have color graded an image and after several color tweaks i created a subtle vignette with curves and apply it with a radial gradiant . I then see banding appear on the backdrop. But the banding disappear when i zoom in to 66,67%. Have anyone experienced the same problem , is this banding or a bug in photoshop. Thanks for any feedback
            Are you editing in 8 bit or 16 bit?
            Working in 16 bit you are much less likely to induce banding than you are in 8 bit.
            Cheers, Murray

Comment

• DJSoulglo
              • Jan 2006

View the image at 100%. If the banding is then gone, then there shouldn't be any banding when you print it.

Comment

• holgaman
                • Mar 2009

I'm with Tony W if the banding goes away at 66%. As a side - I've noticed that I sometimes get banding on a smooth background after applying a subtle vignette (CS6, 16 bit), but it quite often goes away when I flatten or stamp to a new layer. Before flattening, the banding is there at all magnifications. Not sure what that's about.

Comment

• andrewrodney
                  • May 2010

Correct, examine at 100% view but banding can still be a visible artifact of the display path and not necessarily be in the document data. And even if you don't see banding at 100%, doesn't mean upon output there will not be banding (due to the output device itself).

Comment

• Rust
                    • Mar 2010

Thanks for the answers. I have got back my epson 7900 today and have run test prints. And if there are no banding at 100% view in cs6 there are no banding on my prints.

Comment