Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how this look is achieved. Mostly colorwise.

I already applied a luminosity map & saturation map to conclude that blue is added in black and yellow added in white. Reds are pretty strong/saturated too, whites desaturated. The overal pic is desaturated
    Nothing special found in the histogram except that the pic is in the bright zone.
    The lightning make me think to a bdish+giantbox.
    The full serie : http://wienermodels.blogspot.fr/2012...gazine_20.html

However, there is something more in this look, would you be kind enough to orientate my research ?

- In the Colors : when I look at the pics, colors seems to be "pure", by this I mean well defined between each part/fabric/skin/... Like a separation or a re-colorization. But I have no clue about how this is achieved.
    I'm not sure about this assumption but I already saw pic of this style shot by phase one captors, might be a step (no exif found).

- In the Retouch : stronger than usual, everything is clean, close to a plastic look/feel. So then, I do not concentrate my research on this part.

Thank you a lot in advance.
    KR

EDIT: shot on Phase One P40+
    Attached Files

Re: Colorization / Color Separation / Pure Color

I am interested in this topic also.

Comment

Originally posted by Handmade View Post
      Hello everyone,

I already applied a luminosity map & saturation map to conclude that blue is added in black and yellow added in white. Reds are pretty strong/saturated too, whites desaturated. The overal pic is desaturated
      Nothing special found in the histogram except that the pic is in the bright zone.

However, there is something more in this look, would you be kind enough to orientate my research ?

- In the Colors : when I look at the pics, colors seems to be "pure", by this I mean well defined between each part/fabric/skin/... Like a separation or a re-colorization. But I have no clue about how this is achieved.
      I'm not sure about this assumption but I already saw pic of this style shot by phase one captors, might be a step (no exif found).

- In the Retouch : stronger than usual, everything is clean, close to a plastic look/feel. So then, I do not concentrate my research on this part.

KR

Where is your start image?

Comment

Hey,

Thank for your answer.
        There is no start image, I just try to learn the process assuming that I will reproduce the same lightning setup.

King Regards

Comment

Mask each color out separately. Very cool image is the base, and everything else has been pushed with curves/gradient maps or other techniques.

Also, the clothes have blue in deep shadows (selective color, curves).

Comment

Skoobey, I know we are supposed to know this stuff, but - how do you mask each color out separately. And how do you use selective color to make blue in deep shadows?
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Handmade View Post
              Hello everyone,

KR

How do you make the saturation and luminosity maps?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pics2 View Post
                Skoobey, I know we are supposed to know this stuff, but - how do you mask each color out separately. And how do you use selective color to make blue in deep shadows?
                Thanks!
                Use pen tool to select an area, then refine that mask by using push tool.

It doesn't have to be a color adjustment, it can be a saturation or luminosity, or whatever.

Also, it doesn't have to be a single-color area, it can be a dress that you want to "pop", or a hand that needs color adjustment, or whatever.

Pen is an absolute must. The fastest way to select.

Amateurs don't use it as it is is sort-of difficult to use when you're not good with it, but just like writing, once you know how to write, you never go back to drawing every word(manual masking by brush).
                Last edited by skoobey; 05-19-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do use Pen tool exclusively for selections and it proves constantly that this tool is essential.
                  But, I have problem mastering all this color thing. I'm learning Gradient Maps now, it looks like they are essential too, the way Pen tool is. Now I'm realizing that most of the tones of color actions for Photoshop are made using at least one Gradient Map.

Comment

I'm learning Gradient Maps now, it looks like they are essential too, the way Pen tool is. Now I'm realizing that most of the tones of color actions for Photoshop are made using at least one Gradient Map.

Seriously? To which actions do you refer?

Here's a whole bunch of high end retouch videos. If you can find more than one or two instances, in all those videos, of them being used I'd be surprised.

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rentals
                    Last edited by Flashtones; 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: oops, edited to add link to video rentals

Comment

The way that I do gradient maps, and it's far easier is to:

Turn on a hue/sat layer with -100 saturation on top of all layers to see a B+W version.

make a gradient map that's masked out to only fit the area you want a affected.

Fiddle with slider and settings in gradient map until you see no difference in luminosity.

Then you go to hue and saturation aspect of it.

Also you can make a default gradient map of Black to white, fiddle with the settings to get the luminosity right, then make a curve at color mode with the same mask above it, and set the colors on a curve.

Comment

thks for your help, skoobey

Comment

Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
                          Seriously? To which actions do you refer?

Here's a whole bunch of high end retouch videos. If you can find more than one or two instances, in all those videos, of them being used I'd be surprised.

http://www.retouchpro.com/index.php?page=rentals
                          I refer to actions for wedding, senior portraiture etc. like TRA (Totally Rad Actions), Kevin Kubota and the similar that dozens of artists make like
                          http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=vint...toshop+actions
                          I wasn't talking about step by step detailed retouching like the one you refer to.
                          I like you guys who are never around when I ask for help and all you know to do is complain.

Comment

Sorry, this is probably obvious but can someone explain how to make the saturation and luminosity maps? I'm assuming some blending modes involved..

Comment

I refer to actions for wedding, senior portraiture etc. like TRA (Totally Rad Actions), Kevin Kubota and the similar that dozens of artists make like
                              http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=vint...toshop+actions
                              I wasn't talking about step by step detailed retouching like the one you refer to.
                              I like you guys who are never around when I ask for help and all you know to do is complain.
                              I guess if you're looking for one button solutions, gradient maps are as good as anything. I just find them frequently offered on forums, and infrequently used in pro environments. But that's just my experience, and not meant as a dis. Use them if comfortable with them. But I highly doubt they were the tool used on the pro retouching the OP was inquiring about.

I just find them awkward to work with. Sort of like Channel Mixer: a powerful tool, but not an everyday tool for me. But one could easily suggest Channel Mix as a solution to every color problem, and with enough fussing to make it work, they'd be right.

Find what you like and get good with it. If Gradient Maps get you where you're going, that's great.

Meanwhile, I'd love to see one of the more helpful souls here actually replicate the OP's reference images w/ Gradient Maps. It's easy to just throw "solutions" to the wind, but lets see it in action.
                              Last edited by Flashtones; 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

Comment