Help with gold toning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with gold toning

Alright everyone, after exhausting all my resources, failed trial and error, and even asking the photographers for help I figured I would turn here for help.

I'm trying to get just a good starting point for toning like the images below. It seems to be such a standard for the fashion work and though I don't want to replicate I do want to learn how this is achieved to add my own spin. Please take a look and any help, tutorials or info on nailing this down would be beyond grateful!
    Attached Files

Re: Help with gold toning

Hi and welcome to RetouchPro

Fundamentally I would approach this kind of toning through the use of brown gradient maps. You might find the responses I wrote in this thread to be useful.

/barrington

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by oneredpanther View Post
        Hi and welcome to RetouchPro

Fundamentally I would approach this kind of toning through the use of brown gradient maps. You might find the responses I wrote in this thread to be useful.

/barrington
        Hi, just a quick question, after reading the older post you linked to. How do you know what is exactly beige? Are there precise numbers or codes (#) for this color?

Comment

OK, I figured this one out, too.
          http://colourchart.blogspot.com/
          Waiting for a reply, one can learn a lot of stuff, just by googling around.

Comment

The numbers I used were just out of my head. Remember that colouring (and photography) is emotionally-driven, not numerical.

Comment

Thanks guys for the help!! Unfortunately the gradient maps are still not helping as I've tried it on multiple images with multiple lighting. I'm attaching a few more simpler images to see if you guys might break these down. Again, I am missing something as this is such a standard look for fashion and what I'm going for!! I have plenty of images with lighting like this so it might be easier to start here.
              Attached Files

Comment

How about uploading one of your images that you want to achieve the look on... that way the folks trying to help can be much more specific.

Also, please be aware the FAQs from the Janitor... IE: "Why can't I post tasteful nudes?
                This has nothing to do with prudery. I've gotten emails from schools across America and Canada telling me how valuable a resource RP is for teaching their children. This makes me very proud, and I do not want to betray that trust. In addition, RP has members from countries around the world, and not all of them have the same opinions about what is appropriate. And finally, I don't want RP to become a destination for webrats looking for hot pix. "

Comment

My apologies as I will try to keep it cleaner. I saw the hair covering and grabbed the images quickly show. I will make sure it's safe for everyone next time.

And I would like to see how this is approached on an outside level so then I can learn to apply it on my images.

Comment

To be as polite as possible, we have in effect already told you how it is approached.

Retouching takes image A and transforms it into image B. The journey is different for each. If you can't tell us where you start, we can't tell you how to reach the end.

Post your starting points and many of us will be very happy to help.

Comment

Here is a very simple image to start with a base. Same kind of lighting so let's see what happens!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried i think the simplest possible aproach? Create a new adjustment layer Hue and Saturation, select colorize, pick the tone you desire. Reduce the opacity to the taste or mask the areas that have too much colour. Create curves layer and make it more contrasty.

Comment

I did a subtle change using a Gradient Map... Adjust colors, opacity, and masking to your needs

(Give the GIF a couple seconds to change)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 0lBaldy; 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM. Reason: GIF

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                            I did a subtle change using a Gradient Map... Adjust colors, opacity, and masking to your needs
                            Nice job, Olbaldy.

As was mentioned before, there are many paths to the same end. The most important part of any process to achieve this is the layer mask.

Maybe I am out of touch, but we (the retouchers I work with) do not refer to this as "toning." It's just color correction/adjustment and can be done as above, or with curves, selective color or even levels if handled properly.

Comment

Don't forget of the new possibilities in the latest versions of Photoshop (CS6+) - Color Lookup
                              I came across the gold toning using Abstracr profiles

http://realgrow.deviantart.com/art/C...Gold-402353944

Comment