• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very special look by Cristian Girotto

Hi everybody,

I stumbled upon new work from the amazing Cristian Girotto

http://www.cristiangirotto.com/39828...io/in-the-edge

Of course, apart top-notch "classic" retouching, the creative work on the highlights is what gets noticed immediately.
    Do you have any idea if the girl is wearing some special reflective stuff on her (including the face) or if the highlights are taken from other pics and composited over the "normal" portrait ?

Maybe they are painted in from scratch as well ...

Cheers

Re: very special look by Cristian Girotto

Similar effect to Plastic Wrap meets Water Colour! Not over keen but it's interesting.

Comment

I was also really struck by those images! I don't know the technique but I agree that Plastic wrap is part of the formula.

--Shift Studio.

Comment

And some selective Dodge - the dodge is done on a separate layer and a hint of Gaussian Blur is applied to it to smooth out dodged edges. Adjust opacity to taste.

Comment

Originally posted by shift studio View Post
          I was also really struck by those images! I don't know the technique but I agree that Plastic wrap is part of the formula.

--Shift Studio.
          You mean physical plastic wrap of the girl ? Or is it a PS effect/technique I don't know about ?

Thx

Comment

The PS filter FILTER/ARTISTIC/PLASTIC WRAP
            or FILTER/FILTER GALLERY/ARTISTIC/PLASTIC WRAP in newer versions.
            --shift studio.

Comment

Originally posted by shift studio View Post
              The PS filter FILTER/ARTISTIC/PLASTIC WRAP
              or FILTER/FILTER GALLERY/ARTISTIC/PLASTIC WRAP in newer versions.
              --shift studio.
              Don't you hate the newer version? you have to dig in, oh, I forgot, Adobe wants to increase our productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                Don't you hate the newer version? you have to dig in, oh, I forgot, Adobe wants to increase our productivity.
                Yes, the extra interface is painful generally.
                But I do like the idea of filter gallery - previewing stacked filters, or quickly going through filter previews etc. - its not implemented well though.

--shift studio.
                Last edited by shift studio; 07-04-2013, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks Shift, I didn't pay attention to stacked filters, I guess I forgot about it or did not hear of it, Photoshop never ceases to surprise me, there is always something there that I don't not know about, it keeps the "interesting" factor high - yeaaa, time to waste more time exploring a new (old) toy...

Comment

I was just working with an effect just like this, it's indeed the plastic wrap filter but the key is that you should start out with pretty good lighting first and painted in highlights will make it look better...and then the trick is to apply the plastic wrap filter and mask out all but the highlights....

Comment

Oil up the model, get it looking shiny and then just blast those highlights. Paint them in a bit.

Comment

I agree with DJ. Basic high key beauty lighting (he's using two large softboxes, one on either side of the camera with egg-crate diffusers. Oil up the model, expose for the diffused highlight and then, when you bring it into PS, there isn't a lot more to do (which, frankly, is the way I like it. I prefer to do as much as possible in camera and as little as possible working on a computer. I have a life )

Comment

Wow, that is really cool Many thanks for sharing this photographer's work here, and many thanks to everyone who weighed in with how-to's

Comment

Working...
                          X