Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recoloring a wall, maintaining realism

Hi all,

I call upon the wiser minds once again for some guidance.

A client has asked me to recolor a wall to match the color of a table cloth. It is a shade of green.

I've tried adjusting the hue using masks to no avail and I've tried a brush on low flow and opacity but, as I expected, using a brush kills the texture in the wall.

If I wanted to recolor the wall do I have to paint over it and recreate the gradients myself using curves or is there an easier workaround that I'm just not aware of? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you guys!

(what I'm posting is just a segment of the image)
    Attached Files

Re: Recoloring a wall, maintaining realism

This is how I would go about doing it. I created a new layer on top of the base layer. Then sampled the color of the table cloth. Grabbed the paint brush and painted away. Then under layer mode you choose color. Of course, in this sample the mask isnt perfect, as I did it in 5 min but you get the idea.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bretouchers View Post
      This is how I would go about doing it. I created a new layer on top of the base layer. Then sampled the color of the table cloth. Grabbed the paint brush and painted away. Then under layer mode you choose color. Of course, in this sample the mask isnt perfect, as I did it in 5 min but you get the idea.
      That works pretty well.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Comment

Always here to help

Comment

Always here to help
          Any idea why the color comes out so much lighter? Almost yellowish? Same thing happens to me. Any way to get a more true color representation?

Comment

Use Adjustment layers to fix that issue. I would use the curves to darken and color balance adjustment layer to bring in some green. You may have to play with it a bit. Make sure these adjusment layers ONLY affect that layer in PS by masking or hitting the " Cllip" button in the properties tab.
            Last edited by Bretouchers; 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM. Reason: Clearing up

Comment

Use Adjustment layers to fix that issue. I would use the curves to darken and color balance adjustment layer to bring in some green. You may have to play with it a bit. Make sure these adjusment layers ONLY affect that layer in PS by masking or hitting the " Cllip" button in the properties tab.
              I was thinking of doing that. Just gave it another try and it gave acceptable results. Thanks again

Comment

Here you go...

I used 1 adjustment layer, HS, I attached the settings.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                  Here you go...

I used 1 adjustment layer, HS, I attached the settings.
                  I like this too! I feel like I lose more texture this way though.

Comment

Used Bretoucher's method and darkened the new color a little to closer match table cloth.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                      Used Bretoucher's method and darkened the new color a little to closer match table cloth.
                      like it a lot. did u use curves or?

Comment

Originally posted by jamessteel View Post
                        I like this too! I feel like I lose more texture this way though.
                        There is no way you lose texture. How? only hue and lightness manipulated.

Comment

Nice work Wolfman! You can call me Oscar btw Beautyretouchers is the name of my site. Check it out!

O

Comment

Curves, schmurves. Darken this, lighten that. Work smart, guys, not hard.

A gradient map gives you one stop shopping. You sample the original colors in the table cloth and map them as you wish to the wall.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Or try using Lab to match colour precisely and blend if to bring back the underlying image where contaminated plus a small amount of manual mask painting - quick and easy fix
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Tony W; 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM. Reason: wrong image posted

Comment

Working...
                              X