My first ever colorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first ever colorization

Well, with Susan's lead, I decided I needed to try a colorization. Something I never really thought about doing, but Susan inspired me. I decided to work on my grandparents' wedding photo. I've always loved the photo, but it is starting to yellow and needed a little touch-up work before I even got to the colorization.

I spent WAY too long doing this - about 6 hours total, I think. (Does practice help reduce that to less than an hour? I can't see people paying me for that much time just to colorize a photo.) I should have been reading Eisman's book instead (which may have given me some tips to reduce the amount of time I spent on it) or working on my business challenge entry. Instead, I spent hours analyzing and second guessing myself on skin tones, lips (what a pain in the butt!!) and hair color.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate feedback - esp. any comments on how it could be better. Thanks, Jeanie
    Attached Files

Nicely Done

Fantastic job!

The background looks nice, the skin tones are great, even the brass buttons glow! My only criticism is that her teeth look a bit blue. Other than that I am most impressed. In fact, you have inspired me, and I think I will have to try my hand at a colorization! And I must add, what a cute couple!!!

Comment

The teeth! Of course!! I didn't touch them with the colorization, so they're actually straight grayscale. But against everything else, they do look out of place. Well, I thought I was tired of working on it, but just one more little tweek couldn't hurt, huh? -Jeanie

Comment

It makes me feel so good to watch y'all inspire each other

This is a good colorization. Not even 'good for a first attempt'. Just plain old good

I do agree that the blues appear to be a bit prevalent. Overall a cold cast. Rather than toning down the blues, maybe crank up the saturation on the warm tones a tad? But not if it compromises those nice blues.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

OK, I lightened the teeth and increased saturation (too much?) on the faces/hair. (I've got so many different selections saved for this photo that it's easy to isolate just about any part in an instant.) Definite improvement! Thanks for the tips, T Paul and Doug.

I tried changing the background color to more of a pink to warm the overall picture tone, but it just didn't look as good. So, I think I'll stick with the blue background.

For those following this thread, I've attached the "new & improved" version. (Doug, please let me know if I attach too many pictures to my posts.)

Susan, as for the color of the brass - it was complete experimentation. Pure yellow looked fake, so I kept adding a little orange into the mix until "looked right" to my eyes. (I also played with the opacity quite a bit on ALL of the colors.)

Thanks for all of your encouragement! Now I eagerly await a response from my mother (whose parents these are.)

Jeanie
          Attached Files

Comment

Jeanie,

Your mother just called me. She is *VERY* impressed, as we all are. Excellent work!

Ed

Comment

Jeanie

Great job!!!! You really did superbly on the coloring. It looks like it was originally color. Keep up the good work girl. We need that kind of inspiration.
              DJ

Comment

Jeanie,

The teeth look a lot more natural now. Nicely done. I am sure your mother will be thrilled with what you have done. In fact, you have given me some ideas for some gifts for my relatives.

-T

Comment

Good job, it looks great
                  Learn by teaching
                  Take responsibility for learning

Comment

my first ever

I think it looks great. Love the shot and love the color. Not overdone just right.

Comment

jeaniesa

All I can say is that I definitely tip my hat to you. That is truly one of the best coloration jobs I've seen, you definitely have a good eye and I'm jealous at what you've done?

Yes, practice does reduce the time that you do such things, but practice always allows you to do things more quickly anyway.

One thing I did notice, was that there seemed to be a slight darkening around the lips, though.

other than that, it's a wonderful job.
                      Did you use any plugins at all?

Rick

PS:

If you don't mind, and if you can remember, an excellent example of a before and after picture as well the steps that you did would truly be appreciated.
                      Last edited by Rick; 08-28-2001, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Rick, I don't have time to type in the details of what I did until later today, but I WILL post it here soon (as well as the "before" photo.) -Jeanie

Comment

Wedding photo restoration and colorization process

OK, I found some time I didn't know I had. ;-) Let me preface this by saying that I have NO previous experience or even book knowledge about how to colorize a photo. I used the (limited) knowledge that I have of selections and layers, combined with a couple of tips from Doug and “vogonpoet”, and just “went for it” as they say. That being said, here is what I did…

Before coloring, I needed to restore the photo a bit, as it was turning yellow and had some stains along the edges as well as some black lines along the left side where the mat had been stored in stuck to the photo. To restore the photo, I worked in RGB mode and examined each channel separately. What I found was that the staining along the sides of the photo almost disappeared in the red channel, but the faces and white shirt looked washed out. The light and shadows on the faces looked the best in the green channel; and the blue channel contained detail showing the wrinkles in the white shirt that the other channels didn’t. So, I decided to work with the green channel, but copy the background of the red channel on top of it, as well as the white shirt from the blue channel. (If you don’t need the details on how I did that, skip the first paragraph in the next message.)

I've attached the original scan of the photo here.

(continued)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wedding photo restoration and colorization process (cont'd)

I have no idea if there is a faster way to do this or not, but it works for me.

First I created a “new” photo with the same dimensions (in pixels), resolution and mode (RGB) as the original photo.

Working in the original photo, I clicked on the green channel. Selected the entire photo, then copy/pasted that selection into the NEW photo. (The “new” photo now contained only the green channel of the original photo.)

Back in the original photo, I clicked the red channel and selected the background (using a feathering between 3-8 depending on how sharp the line was along the selection path.) I SAVED the selection, then copy/pasted that selection in the NEW photo. I think I had to move the selection around to make it line up correctly, but that was fairly simple using the arrow keys to “nudge” a pixel at a time when I got it close.

Back in the original photo, I clicked on the blue channel and selected the white shirt. Again, I varied the feathering depending on the area I was selecting. For example, the shadow area on the right side of the selection had a larger feathering than the shoulder. And again, I SAVED the selection, then copy/pasted the shirt from the blue channel into the NEW photo and moved it around until everything matched up.

The resulting “new” photo now had three layers and each of the RGB channels were identical. I flattened the image (merged all of the layers) and started cleaning up the stains/marks that still needed attention. Once done, I saved the “new” photo as the restored version of the original.

I've attached the restored photo here.

(continued)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Wedding photo restoration and colorization process (final)

Working on the restored version, I decided to work on one piece at a time. The basic process was:

1. make a selection of the piece I wanted to color (e.g., my grandmother’s face)
                              2. save the selection, make a new “layer via copy”
                              3. load the selection while working on that new layer
                              4. change the blending mode of the layer to “color”
                              5. choose an appropriate foreground color(*)
                              6. “fill” the selection
                              7. change the opacity of the layer to make it “look right”

(*) I found choosing the appropriate color to be extremely time consuming for the faces and lips. Even though I used Bruce Beard’s skintone color charts that are in the resource section of this site, I found myself endlessly tweaking for more or less yellow/red and experimenting with the opacity setting. Perhaps part of my problem was that I know what my grandparents’ skin tones were – AND once I was happy with the colors I chose for my grandmother, I also had to make my grandfather’s skintone look realistic, but also look good against the color I’d used for my grandmother. Yes, I did use different tones for both of them.

In the end, I had 12 layers and a HUGE file! Since the photo is 8x10 at 300dpi and I wanted to keep it that way, the file size of the final version before flattening the image was 171MB!! Luckily I’ve got about 450M RAM. (I knew I bought all that memory for something. ;-) I suppose I could have flattened the file as I went, but it seemed well worth it to have all of the layers in the end, because I could go back to any layer (i.e., any piece of the photo) and tweak the color, opacity, curves, etc. to balance the overall color and/or brightness.

If you’re interested, here are the layers (selections), along with the color and opacity that I used. (Remember, all layers were blended using "color".)

1. Woman’s face minus eyes and lips – #F0D6BF – 80%
                              2. Woman’s lips – #820700 – 35%
                              3. Iris of eyes (man and woman) – #5B7898 – 50%
                              4. Woman’s hair – #DCD0BA – 65%
                              5. Woman’s shirt – #B4C1EC – 60%
                              6. Man’s face – #FFE0C6 – 75%
                              7. Man’s lips – #420D01 – 70%
                              8. Man’s hair (and eyebrows) – #554838 – 100%
                              9. Brass buttons and gold trim on shoulder – #FFCC00 – 70%
                              10. “Patch” on shoulder – #2A2A4E – 65% (I have since learned that the patch should be black, so it was easy to go and delete this layer to return the patch to the correct color.)
                              11. Background – #273D9A – 15% (not a typo, that’s fifteen %)
                              12. Woman’s teeth – #FFFFE3 – 50%

In addition to that, I made a few tweaks on the background layer. Specifically, I loaded the selection for my grandfather’s face and used curves to lighten it slightly. I also loaded the selections for both sets of lips (separately) and used curves to lighten my grandmother’s and darken my grandfather’s. I also used curves to lighten a selection of my grandmother’s teeth. I used an airbrush at 20-30% opacity to give a hint of color to the cheeks on both.

I saved the 171MB file with all of the layers and selections as a Photoshop file (to make it easy to update based on feedback – it also allowed me to go back and provide the details above, since I hadn’t written those down as I worked), then flattened the image to make it a more manageable size. Once it was flattened, I loaded all of the selections for the heads/faces and increased the saturation by 20%.

Looking back on the process, I’m sure it would have been easier just to paint the color in the various areas (on different layers?), but I also think it was nice to have all of the selections at the end when I wanted to tweak individual pieces. Now I think I’ll go read a couple of books and find out how the pros do it! ;-) I’ve attached a side-by-side before/after comparison here.

Jeanie
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by jeaniesa; 08-30-2001, 08:40 PM.

Comment