• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!how to make the tone like this?

Help!how to make the tone like this? please help

**start from a colourful picture.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by superbwallace; 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM.

Re: Help!how to make the tone like this?

Please show your starting point image

Comment

sorry... my stating point image is colourful one.

Comment

What software are you using to edit your images?

Comment

One approach: convert to greyscale and select duotone but use the tri-tone or quad-tone function. Select 2 greys as well as a black and have fun adjusting the curves of each until you achieve the desired tonal mix. It's case dependent so I can't suggest either the Greys or the curve shapes. Good fun playing though.

Comment

Most digital captures will start in colour these days so that is not an issue.

There are many ways to do this and another approach using Photoshop would be to keep the image as colour and a a Channel Mixer layer set to monochrome then run the default action in Photoshop Sepia. The action will create a Hue &Sat layer open this and adjust the Saturation slider to somewhere between 1 and 10%. This may get you somewhere near but it really does depend heavily on the original image content and lighting etc

Comment

Desat layer then above it a color fill set to whatever tone with a color blending mode then curves at the very top is how I would approach this

Comment

Duotone or Tri-tone. Or a b&w adjustment layer with a selenium type colour tint.

Comment

Many moons ago I used to work on promotional material for Ilford who made/make(?) quality B/W photo papers. Often using the work of famous photographers, Bresson etc, it was a challenge to capture the magic of their work by black and white printing alone. Duotone enabled the use of a second grey which we used in the transitional areas where black gradates to white. This created an almost silvery patina which echoed nicely the look of the original prints which I had in my possession. Wish I had them now - must be worth a few quid!

Comment

thank you all of you...and i will try the above methods.

Comment

The toning is very similar to IIford XP2 film, I used to love using that film in my Contax 35mm. If you search for XP2 look in photoshop, should get you somewhere near. Alien skin Exposure plugin gives all the popular film emulations too, both colour and B&W. Should be some free actions out there as well

Comment