What is this 'metallic shiny' look on skin retouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this 'metallic shiny' look on skin retouch

How is this achieved? I know it was all post work, because the before shot had no such shine. What tool is used to create this?

http://hazemgiballi.4ormat.com/#5

Re: What is this 'metallic shiny' look on skin ret

Heavy dodging. As usual with that kind of treatment, highlights are dimmed and brought to something between yellow and red to get the tones even (that's why you have rich highs on her face whilst the reflections on the torso and legs don't stand out that much).

Comment

Probably a combination of these various Dodge and Burn (D&B) techniques listed in the 'Tutorial' Section of RetouchPRO were used to get this effect..along with a pretty model, good lighting and practice cubed:

1. Wet Skin
      2. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits
      3. So So to So Sexy
      4. The quick de-grunge trick
      5. How to create Metal-Like Skin
      6. Intro to Painting with Light
      7. 30 second Paint with Light Cheat
      8. Tutorial by Amy Dresser, (including a PSD of one of her images so you can see how the final image was accomplished.)

Comment

Obvious things are:

Selections, you need to select things to dodge and burn them right.
        A lot of burning.
        Color corrections.
        Healing has been taken to perfection here.

She was, obviously, at least somewhat tan, and channel mixer combined with skin selection could have pushed it a bit further, can't tell as there is no original.

BTW. And to tease those highlights even more, you can make a selection from channels, add contrast to it, than use it to dodge or lighten , which will give you that crispness.
        Last edited by skoobey; 07-12-2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Aha! It is your last paragraph that did it for me!

After Some googling around, I found the original, you are right, she had some tan to start with (not a true before tho) http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/36325324

Thank you so much skoobey...

Comment

I may be getting confused, but the OP posted these pictures as raw files for people to retouch here on RP: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-practice.html
            why don't they just ask the retoucher how they did it? Or perhaps they won't tell?

Comment

Maybe someone could do a walkthrough? As we have the start and ending pictures...
              Pretty please?

Comment

Wait for an hour, I'll post a PSD of a completely pale girl, and making her look tan.

OK, here we go.

We got this:
                tan_example.jpg

By doing a couple of things, keep in mind it is still not finished, but this is how you get the tan look. All about mixing the channels.

PSD File with all the layers(again, not finished, still some DNB to do + local color adjustments and some minor clean up):

https://www.sendspace.com/file/s00vka

Once on the page make sure you click HERE to dwnlaod the file, and not go to a sponsored page :please-click.jpg
                Last edited by skoobey; 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                  Wait for an hour, I'll post a PSD of a completely pale girl, and making her look tan.

OK, here we go.
                  That was nicely done. I'm surprised you got it down that far with curves without creating problems though.

Comment

Originally posted by klev View Post
                    That was nicely done. I'm surprised you got it down that far with curves without creating problems though.
                    That's why I used the Channel Mixer. Had I used Black and White, it would've broken up.

BTW. Maybe you're referring to my DnB curves. Yes, I do that a bit differently now, I established this file a while back, and never worked on it, so I forgot to make my curves less aggressive today.

then_now_curve.jpg
                    Last edited by skoobey; 07-13-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

1- What is in BANDPASS ? hard to tell. same for SEPARATE! , Looks like modified FS, it is FS, but this two layers confusing me.

2- How the Channel mixer work? how is it affecting only the Blue Channel? I don't see any mask! (I hid your BLUE CHANNEL TO MULTIPLY adjustment, created my own above it, did not get same results!)

I like your subtle treatments, especially in the CC folder.

Thank you so much for sharing, very educational.

Comment

1.ALT+Click on the layer eye to see what it contains, BandPass here is solving a problem with the mole on the arm. So, it's painted in that area. Separate is for separate cloning and healing, and in this case it contains some fingertips and part of the shower cap strap that was removed from her left cheek.

2. Channel mixer adjusts the opacity of one channel in the other. Default setting is that every channel has 100% of it's values, and 0% of other two. By pulling the sliders, you can mix and mach channels.

Channel Mixer adjustment layer in this instance is replacing all channels with the Blue channel(red has 0 red and 100 blue, green has 0 green 100 blue) and the layer is set to Multiply to make it even darker(not to get into math of Multiply mode). Result is an image consisting only of blue channels. No mask needed, it's a blue channel in it's entirety, only used as an adjustment layer, making it editable and keeping file size smaller.

Hope i helped?

Maybe I should do Youtube tutorials.

Comment

You Should!

1- I see, geez! it is too tiny, it is what I did initially, Alt click but did not see anything first time, I see it now that you told me where to look.

2- My bad! I did not pay attention, I went through the channels seeing 100% in each, did not pay attention that it was all blue!

Thanks again, you are so generous.

Comment

Can I ask what the purpose is of the "Tone Help" group?

Thanks

Comment

Usually, having a gray scale or monochrome copy -you don't really want a copy since it is static, you need some sort of adjustment layer that reflects your work in monochrome - on the top of the layer stack helps while editing. If it looks good in gray scale or monochrome, it looks good in color, this is the basic premise behind it. Monochrome version shows skin anomalies that helps identify problem areas to target, it also help with tones.

As your work progresses, you keep turning on and off the tone helper group to get an idea of how your effort is progressing.

Comment