No announcement yet.

'Hyper-realistic' Portrait Retouching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Hyper-realistic' Portrait Retouching?

I'm not even sure what the correct term for this retouching technique would be, however I've seen people refer to Matt Hoyles Swimmers portraits as hyper-realistic, so that's good enough for me!

I have a couple examples of this particular technique; I have a vague idea of what may be going on here but I could also be far off the mark. I'm intrigued as to how the details have been brought out of the skin; and on top of that, the skin also has an almost 'metallic' like appearance.

In the case of Matt Hoyle, I know a lot of it has to do with the genius lighting set-ups he uses but there is also clearly a lot of work in post. It seems like there's been a lot of work to pull out the freckles and emphasise those details. I suspect it may have involved manipulating the channels and level adjustments though I find when I use the channels to pull out detail, the image can often end up looking quite grainy and 'dirty'. I was wondering whether anyone would be able to shed some light on this? I apologise if this has been asked before.
    Attached Files

Re: 'Hyper-realistic' Portrait Retouching?

Look up Calvin Hollywood's "Freaky Details" then add some D&B.

Comment

Re: 'Hyper-realistic' Portrait Retouching?

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
      Look up Calvin Hollywood's "Freaky Details" then add some D&B.
      This. I agree. 10 Characters?

Comment