Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is your fav advanced burn and dodge tec?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is your fav advanced burn and dodge tec?

Hi

which is your fav advanced burn and dodge technique ?

i know there are many way to do it

may i know which is your fav advanced burn and dodge technique ?

maybe could you please link a video if you have ..

thanks
    cheers

Re: which is your fav advanced burn and dodge tec?

Curves........................

Comment

I use the 50% grey layer in soft light or overlay.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
        Curves........................
        Originally posted by Isedo View Post
        I use the 50% grey layer in soft light or overlay.
        hi
        for advanced burn and dodge technique, i mean a support laywer like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKng8dfBbOA

in short the skill

Comment

Hi my friend, it depends for what are u going to use the d&B. A good helper is a black and white layer + pushing down the curves if needed. It all depends what are you doing, skin, advertising, "illustrative look"...and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by mantra View Post
            hi
            for advanced burn and dodge technique, i mean a support laywer like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKng8dfBbOA

in short the skill
            Great tutorial!

+1 on curves for D&B as well

Comment

I do a lot of my work in camera raw then after that I tend to use the 50% grey adjustment layer most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by David H View Post
                after that I tend to use the 50% grey adjustment layer most of the time.
                hi
                the 50% grey?
                are you talking about selective color layer?

Comment

Fill a blank layer -on top- with 50% gray then set layer blend mode to softlight. Use soft, low opacity brush in white and/or black, white to dodge, black to burn.

Comment

thanks Aladdin,

Yes that is what I meant by the 50% layer.

If you want it a little more punchy you can also use Overlay layer mode rather than soft light.

I great thing about using this method is the control that it gives you, it saves on size as you don't need a duplicate layer of the image, you can adjust the opacity of the layer, you could even add a layer mask to it if you really wanted, basically the amount of control that it gives you is fantastic and it's all on a layer that you can delete if you want and start again and the original is not touched but then we all know or should know that we should never be working on the original layer destructively

Comment

For more control I use the 2 curves layers method with usually a hue/saturation layer clipped onto the dodge layer to adjust color shifts. I turn all pen sensitivity off when I'm d/b'ing and use 100% opacity and 3-5% flow (because I hate lifting the pen hehe)

Comment

In addition to what David mentioned, once done, you may apply a Gaussian blur filter to the 50% gray layer, apply a dash of blur to ease the transition from Burn to un-touched skin. just a bit or you might lose it. Of course this depends on how big your image is.

Comment

I like the 50% gray with softlight to keep the saturation from building up in "overlay blend mode".

In addition to using the black and white brushes to lighten and darken...I also sometimes choose a real flesh color on the layer to make corrections as well. Since the gray is dropped out....its the darkness or brightness or the color that is left behind in the image...I will use a color... if im on strong blemishes... or on blotches to further help them to match the surrounding area.

If you bring up or down the luminosity...it will change the color of the pixels...it will turn the pore into a shade or a tone of the same color...but all that is really needed is to add a bit of brightness for example to make dark skin from looking muddy and ruddy just by adding light to the color...thats why I enjoy D+B so much...AND when I have a really tough area...I can also add some color correction to the process by using a colored brush too on the 50% 128 value layer.

Its D+B with a color correction twist when necessary

Ray

Comment

I like ray12's answer. Helpful, thanks!

Comment

My preferred method is to use Curves on a copy of the background layer inside of a nested Smart Object which has been converted to LAB color within the RGB image. With this process you get super fine control of luminosity with no shifts in color and usually no need to make any color adjustments after D or B.
                              Cheers, Murray

Comment