Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change a white to color

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to change a white to color

    Hi guys, few years ago I found a very good technique to change white cars to color in a very realistic way. Damn I can't remember the sequence. I just remember its about lowering the brightness and than giving back the color but I'd like to remember the exact sequence of layers because the guy who explained that used few blending modes as well.

    Anyone know that technique or other realistic one please?
    I'm doing that now with a "home made" one lowering the brightness and than using hue saturation with colorize to give the color back but it's not as it was with that technique i do not remember.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Re: How to change a white to color

    Depends where you're heading and from where.

    Definitely Colorize ticked in Hue Saturation adjsutment layer.

    Or a gradient map.

    Then everything depends.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How to change a white to color

      Thanks Skoobey. Imagine a white car to red.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How to change a white to color

        You might check this thread: Adding color to white (found by using the 'Search' button @ top of page..)

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How to change a white to color

          There are very few things that cant be done with curves. Pull the white side down on the master curve and also push up the white side of the red curve, etc.

          An alternative is to use solid color layers and blend modes. Pick a rich red color and make two solid color layers of it. Set one to Multiply or Color Burn and another to Soft Light. Set each to about 50% opacity and adjust up and down on the opacity of each to suit. And maybe set a contrast curve above them.

          I'm sure some would use LAB and maybe Jacob's Ladder (google it) but I don't usually go there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How to change a white to color

            red-example.jpg

            Link to PSD:

            LINK

            That would be multiply mode in this case.

            P.S. This only really works for light to dark.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How to change a white to color

              Hey Skoobey, nice job.

              I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing off your PSD file and mask, I just wanted to validate the two curve approach, one set to luminosity, the other color.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How to change a white to color

                Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
                You might check this thread: Adding color to white (found by using the 'Search' button @ top of page..)
                Thanks. I search allay before asking. Did not found that one but looking at it its not the technique I'm looking for.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How to change a white to color

                  Thanks Skoobey. I'm using similar technique but the one I'm talking about preserved all the luminosity and everything. Damn can't remember the sequence. :-(

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How to change a white to color

                    Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
                    Hey Skoobey, nice job.

                    I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing off your PSD file and mask, I just wanted to validate the two curve approach, one set to luminosity, the other color.
                    I mean if you're doing that, you might just as well show us the actual curves.

                    But I get the idea, luminosity down, color on top. Presto change-o.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How to change a white to color

                      Sorry, wasn't try to keep any "secrets". Problem is, I saved the file in the wrong state and can't retrieve what I did, to show, but it was a very steep darkening curve and a very steep raise in the red channel (in Color mode. In Normal mode the raise would have been fighting with the darkening luminosity curve.).

                      Here's the state the file got mistakenly saved in. Red solid color layer in Multiply at 37% opacity, and a curve in normal mode as shown. Here I'm having trouble to get the highlights as white as I'd like, which is why I went to the two curves approach for greater control. Some might prefer this version, but that's why I like to try a variety of approaches.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How to change a white to color

                        Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
                        Sorry, wasn't try to keep any "secrets". Problem is, I saved the file in the wrong state and can't retrieve what I did, to show, but it was a very steep darkening curve and a very steep raise in the red channel (in Color mode. In Normal mode the raise would have been fighting with the darkening luminosity curve.).

                        Here's the state the file got mistakenly saved in. Red solid color layer in Multiply at 37% opacity, and a curve in normal mode as shown. Here I'm having trouble to get the highlights as white as I'd like, which is why I went to the two curves approach for greater control. Some might prefer this version, but that's why I like to try a variety of approaches.
                        Try with blend if.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How to change a white to color

                          right, or a luminosity mask (inverted), etc. always many means to an effect.

                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X