Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Correction for dreamy lifestyle images

Hey all,
    I'm a rookie when it comes to color correction and have only ever done minor corrections here and there.

Having relied on film for rather too long, I'm trying to move fully digital but I'm struggling to get the tonality negative film.

So I was browsing the web today and I found Ben Sasso's website http://bensasso.com/blog/sierra-gabe-10-years/
    http://bensasso.com/blog/rest/

It seems that Ben is a hybrid shooter, but the two links posted have been shot digitally and display just the sort of colour I want to replicate. I see that ben offers tuition on his website, but it's $200 that I don't have right now.

Can anyone give some pointers on how the look is achieved? Also, how should I approach discovering color corrections like this myself? Is shooting a similar picture and editing them side by side (using the color-sampler tool) the best way to go?

Re: Color Correction for dreamy lifestyle images

Start with VSCO filter in Lightroom, they truly are the remakes of film looks.

Comment

Thanks skoobey i'll give them a go. Years ago I used to use alien skin exposure and it was, well... horrid. I take it things have improved somewhat?
      I've been out of the photo game for a while, which would explain my relative ignorance.

But what about doing it manually? could anyone guide me in this respect?

Comment

Try these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Kelbys-7...=7+steps+photo

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-P...onal+photoshop

Comment

It all depends on your starting point?

Comment

Originally posted by bohngy View Post
            It seems that Ben is a hybrid shooter, but the two links posted have been shot digitally and display just the sort of colour I want to replicate. I see that ben offers tuition on his website, but it's $200 that I don't have right now.
            I doubt it would be worth your $200 anyway. You have lighting. You have any detail retouching work on eyes, lips, and shading of face. You have localized color correction, mainly darken background, adjust color to taste. You are looking at a fair amount of practice and some refinement of your own analytical abilities. By that I mean if you can't break down what is happening visually, you'll be stuck to copying things as they are.

Comment