Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying my hand at beauty retouching

Hi All,

I've just started studying retouching for a few weeks and really want to seriously get into doing this. That being said, I'd love for someone to rip through my retouches and point out the flaws in my method or choices that I can't yet see so that I can take my work to the next level. Please be as critical as you can

Thanks,

David

My Retouch

Haven't been able to find anywhere to share the full size one on, everything seems to shrink it down...
    Attached Files

Re: Trying my hand at beauty retouching

86 views and no comments?

Comment

There is simply too much left to do. You barely scraped the surface.
      Make a desaturation adjustment layer on top of the layer stack,set saturation to -100 and blend mode to color. Even out the tones.

Also, skin has not be cloned on the face, nails are not sharp, eyes don't sand out. Hair line is not even, and overall color is not even.

That armpit on the camera is an eyesore.

Keep at it, you'll get better. Only sure way not to get better is to give up.
      test01_zpsf0606a8b.jpg

Comment

Get yourself a reference point which might be a nicely done jewellery ad campaign and see what's done there, similarities between different photos. Thing is, this kind of ad tends to be overdone a bit (i.e. Tiffany) so you have to find something more subtle.

IMO you're going in the right direction - not over retouching which is a pretty common thing for starters.

Comment

What I really liked about your work is that, you did not use Gaussian blur like some might have done! It tells me you are serious about your work.

I agree with all the above, however, evening out the skin tones like what skoobey recommended is a MUST. Every thing else comes after.

The overall understanding or agreement among retouchers is that, you take care of global color adjustment, then local color adjustment, by then, most of the imperfections will be gone. Only then, you start the actual retouch process on the skin, then hair, then you would move on to individual features like eyes, nose, etc, etc.

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the valuable input so far, I'm going over it again with the above in mind (and going through some tutorials on how to best accomplish some of it as it's fairly new to me).

I'm going to take another crack at it and will respond in a few days. I'm still very much developing the eye for what looks good with this so it's still difficult for me to see some of these flaws or really 'know' what looks best.

Thanks again for everyone who responded with input, very much appreciated!

Comment

Easiest way is to have a reference image in the next window.

Comment

Do not overthink it, too. First, watching too many images is as bad as none. That's essentially the same as with photographers - tons of photos are floating around and you can easily get tired after a while, also it certainly does not keep your mind clean.
                You do, of course, need to get a sense of current aesthetics in the industry, that's why I've advocated watching the jewellery campaigns (or beauty ones), but keep in mind that every photographer usually wants a different output regarding the colour and contrast.

I was once in a similar situation and started to gather all the inspirations I could found, but that resulted in an overwhelming amount of files that still wouldn't help a lot, because I'd go from one to another and then onwards trying to find a "better" one.

Comment

Thanks Insmac, I think that (so far) is the hardest part for me. I'm finding myself looking at tons of before/afters and seeing such a wide range of aesthetics that when I'm working on my own image I really don't have a firm idea of how I think it should look.

That's one of the main reasons i came here and found this forum, I really needed outside perspective and input in order to truly grasp what I'm lacking/overdoing/not seeing and really train my eye to the proper range of professional aesthetics. I think once I have that down and have learned/developed better technique, being able to match the desired/requested style within that range will be possible.

Just going to take it one image at a time, I'm hopeful with the advice I've gotten here that the next iteration of this retouch will be several steps in the right direction

Comment

You understand what is the hard part. It's knowing what you're after, and why you're after that particular thing. You'll get there in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Venthe View Post
                      Thanks Insmac, I think that (so far) is the hardest part for me. I'm finding myself looking at tons of before/afters and seeing such a wide range of aesthetics that when I'm working on my own image I really don't have a firm idea of how I think it should look.
                      That's because there's no single style or aesthetics for each kind of photography - there are similarities though, but like I said - almost every photographer wants his own style, hence different treatments.

For jewellery ad you're most likely be looking at porcelain skin with very delicate hands, lower overall saturation for the mood:

Chanel:
                      http://i.models.com/i/db/2012/5/100144/100144-800w.jpg
                      http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...42623614_n.jpg
                      Repossi Jewellery:
                      http://theneotraditionalist.com/wp-c...campaign-3.jpg
                      Gucci:
                      http://www.gucci.com/images/ecommerc...eb_1column.jpg

(unless the campaign is tied to a specific 'emotion' like this Gucci ad shot by Inez and Vinoodh was all gold and glitter:
                      http://www.fashionadexplorer.com/l-ozKn173Kd8EPV6Oe.jpg

There are some exceptions where the image has a darker mood, like this Louis Vuitton ad:
                      http://www.footluxe.com/gallery/2011...ampaign-04.jpg

Comment

Keep in mind though, that the aesthetics come last, first, you will have to go through a complete retouch process, the image or photograph has to be ready to hand over to a client or posted somewhere. It has to be a "finished product". Only then, you would introduce some sort of aesthetics to it.

Comment

No, you start with aesthetics, as that dictates everything from the raw conversion, to global DNB, to global and local adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                            No, you start with aesthetics, as that dictates everything from the raw conversion, to global DNB, to global and local adjustments.
                            I totally agree with this approach. However, for someone starting out it doesn't necessarily apply. I would suggest that, while learning the basic skills, you need to be prepared to work an image to death. You need to go too far, and often, before you start to find out how far too far is. It takes years to develop a good balance of technical skill and aesthetic understanding. At the outset, if you want to gain real depth and breadth of technical repertoire, you need to find every opportunity available to explore and practise. To use a medical analogy - you start by dissecting corpses before you go on to curing patients.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                              I know this, as AKMac illustrated, you really can't expect someone that is just starting out with image retouch to place aesthetics ahead of everything else. He or she will be killed on the spot! Just like everything else, you need the "boot camp" experience , one has to know what to do in conversion and what to leave behind for actual editing, you don't accomplish this unless you have the experience.

In your first replay to him, you pointed out few very good points that he left out, then, how do you expect him to start with aesthetics first if he left the basics behind?

You really have to reach certain level of editing experience before even attempting to introduce aesthetics!

This why I love Photoshop CC, to be able to run ACR as filter. I am a firm believer that the image has to be picture perfect before introducing aesthetics! It is my philosophy and my comfort zone. Only then, when I am happy with the work, that I take it to ACR as filter to see what could be done with it, aesthetics wise! Which gives me a second chance at "conversion". Before CC, I had to close the window, open the file again "as Camera Row" file, was pain. Now, I can just use ACR as Smart Object within the document.

Comment