Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local affordable pro retoucher ?

Hi, this is my first post- go easy on me
    I'm a photographer who has been retouching my own work but I have recently decided to use a pro to take my images to another level. This project is just for my book so I'm the client.

I got 9 fashion and beauty images I need retouched by Oct 17th.
    What's the easiest way to find an affordable pro retoucher ? I'm looking for a pro who has good taste and who is very fast. Experience in compositing a plus.

Ideally I'd like to find someone in Los Angeles ( I'm in Hollywood ) so we can eventually set up a supervised session. Any tips or links to relevant websites are greatly appreciated !

Re: Local affordable pro retoucher ?

Google: retouching house Hollywood.

For detailed beauty, think of 100$ per image, given that your images look up to industry standard polished(right light make up etc. enhancements, not fixes). If they don't, well, it's never going to look "perfect".

I can recommend this girl.

Comment

Google: retouching house Hollywood
      Actually I prefer working with freelance artists.
      Generally the dollars stretch a bit more that way
      Thanks for the link !

Comment

Originally posted by Mustardeer View Post
        Thanks for the link !
        Obviously, as you leave out the middle man. If you need perfection, she's great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustardeer View Post
          Thanks for the link !
          Wait. So, you're telling us that you have used both retouching houses and freelance, and have found, generally, that the freelancer is cheaper, with that statement?

Or, are you telling us it's easier to get away with underpaying a poor, defenseless freelancer?

Comment

Where's the facepalm emoji when you need one

Comment

It is, generally speaking, to hire a freelancer, in any industry.

How come you, Benny, translated that into that "he/she is getting paid less"? They are getting paid the same or more, it's just that there is no middle man.

It has it's disadvantages, like the volume of images a single retoucher can handle. Those managers exist for a reason.

Comment

No.

Read his second post.

"Actually I prefer working with freelance artists.
                Generally the dollars stretch a bit more that way"

How does the OP know that? That's what I was asking. Or, does the OP think he/she can get away with more with a freelancer? It is a common issue among the freelance crowd, you know. Here, this is an entertaining site, although depressing a lot of the time: http://clientsfromhell.net There are many a story in there of freelancers simply not getting paid. "So, what are you going to do about it? Sue me."

Comment

OK, I agree, whenever you're trying to "stretch dollars" that usually means you have no real concept of what you're doing, and are just trying to get as much as you can from as little effort. That is not how successful people do things.
                  You know what is the value of your work and you're paying for equally valuable service. No stretching involved.

Comment

You know, in ad industry most of the award-winning craft comes from small studios when there are no middle-men and not from network behemots across the globe. Point is, clients want a sort of personal approach and flexibility whenever possible. Certainly, not all of them are from hell. The only issues I had to date were with the big ones.

I think the money issue is complicated, there are at least few major causes for this - first, working with more clients means more chance to meet a scumbag one. Second, there are no protective means to enforce the payment after you've issued your invoice. I have not yet seen a fully working system covering these issues, no matter what country is involved. But - like I said, it's not a common rule. There are good clients with long-lasting relationship with studio or a freelancer.
                    Last edited by insmac; 10-13-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

insmac,

I agree. Also, I think that a good starting point, no matter if you're a client or a retoucher is to know what you want. I've come across too many people that don't know what their goal is, and so noone can achieve it.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                        insmac,

I agree. Also, I think that a good starting point, no matter if you're a client or a retoucher is to know what you want. I've come across too many people that don't know what their goal is, and so noone can achieve it.
                        That goes both ways, there are clients who think it's essentially meaningless what the initial photo was like, you can create anything in post, no need to spending money on the shoot. Make it look expensive. And they are convinced there are no limits here, you can do it, obviously they might not be happy with the word "expensive" or "time consuming".

As for the first group, You can only give your clueless client hints or show him avaialble options when he has no idea. But even in this case if the client trusts you and doesn't want to interfere too much it is entirely possible to get really nice results. I've recently retouched a politician who initially thought of something typical for his campaign - in the end it looks more like a illustration to an interview, a classic, elegant portrait - I've convinced him along the way, showing samples and briefly explaining why it'll be beneficial.

Comment

Absolutely, it's what makes us artists. Ability to make decisions. I just completed a couple of images where I changed the captured color scheme entirely and took out a light source. Why? Because it was my decision that the images needed it, and it turns out client loves the result.

Retouching on a certain level is definitely about being a "good fit". That's why it's good idea of the OP to establish a relationship with a photographer.

I say that at certain level, there are no photographers that deliver "horrible" images. Everything can be worked on, and if there is a reason to do a dramatic change, it's a good reason, because our services cost money.

Comment

I will give you an answer here (Mustardeer) that may be in be in some ways redundant. I say find someone who is already working as a retoucher for an in-house corp or agency. They, like myself, will often take on freelance side work. I would say that your turn might be a little slower, but your dollars will certainly stretch more. No shortchanging them. They will still charge fairly for their time, but they have NO OVERHEAD. No insurance on their building/office, no rent, no utilities (other than their home's). They have all the equipment and resources available to them at home - and can work evenings and weekends. Just a thought. I know I used to have my own business - and now am an in-house resource. I have a small group of photographers who use me regularly. It is great relationship. I know their capabilities and how the files I receive will be - AND I know their end clients, and what they want in their final results. Whoever you use - I would suggest you have them do 1-2 images to see if you can work together and they are capable of meeting your expectations.

Comment

Working...
                            X