Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove dark image from dark background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove dark image from dark background?

Hi, I need to remove a person from a dark background, however my issue is the hair is quite dark and so is his clothing. Any help would be much appreciated!

This is the image I'm trying to edit.
    http://i.imgur.com/wUQeBkP.jpg

Re: How to remove dark image from dark background?

Check the channels for more contrast along the edge. IF that doesn't give you enough, edit a copy of the image to produce a better edge and create a mask from that. You still may need to draw the edge is some places.

Comment

Manually. Pen tool for clothes and face. Paintbrush for the hair.

Comment

I made 2 duplicate layers and opened up the shadows on the top layer with shadows & highlights giving me a better separation of the person from the background. Then I painted in a mask and used that mask on the duplicate layer below that didn't have the shadows opened up and deleted the background.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shoku View Post
          Check the channels for more contrast along the edge. IF that doesn't give you enough, edit a copy of the image to produce a better edge and create a mask from that. You still may need to draw the edge is some places.
          I never had good luck with that strategy in photoshop, but there's a lot of current research in that area. It pops up a lot in computer vision, so cleaning up noise and quantization errors is a big deal.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. it worked.

Comment

An easy way to separate the background from his head is to copy the layer using screen blending mode about 4 times. The result is this which can be used to make a mask.
              Attached Files

Comment