Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BW portraits - skin retouching workflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashtones
    replied
    Re: BW portraits - skin retouching workflow?

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
    However you'd like to make it look like a b/w negative. Again, just for visualization.
    Cool. Just seeing if you knew a way to invert and adj layer, which I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nelson
    replied

Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
    Just making sure I'm following: You mean put an invert adj layer above the BW adj layer?
    However you'd like to make it look like a b/w negative. Again, just for visualization.

Leave a comment:

• skoobey
    replied

Skin softening as opposed to making it even is a problem. No, I never retouch on top of B+W adjustment.

Leave a comment:

• Flashtones
    replied

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
    Although I might be tempted to retouch using a b/w adjustment layer on top of the stack just for visualization. A tip from Chris Tarentino is to invert the b/w layer.
    Just making sure I'm following: You mean put an invert adj layer above the BW adj layer?

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nelson
    replied

Sounds like you'd be losing a lot of valuable data. Although I might be tempted to retouch using a b/w adjustment layer on top of the stack just for visualization. A tip from Chris Tarentino is to invert the b/w layer.

Leave a comment:

• carpman
    started a topic BW portraits - skin retouching workflow?

BW portraits - skin retouching workflow?

Hi, not been here for while, good to see it is going well.

I do a lot of BW portraits and am looking to refine workflow.

Currently I raw process images ready for BW conversion, before that i do my retouching which for face is mainly.
    • Blemish / stray hair removal
    • Shadow lightening ( under eyes etc)
    • Eye saturation, whites clean up, sharpen a bit
    • Eye lash darken if needed
    • Slight skin soften

Then i do BW conversion, this is followed by dodge and burning to bring out highlights and shadows to create desired look.

Question, does anyone do the retouching after BW conversion?

Just wondering if I could save a bit of time by do this!

thanks