Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are those computers on the photoshoots?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are those computers on the photoshoots?

    I've noticed that there are people on a computer looking at the pictures the photographers shoot, what are they supposed to be? Also, who pays for all of that?? I see how photographers can't shoot anyone without a team of 50 people, well who's paying??

    It's interesting to note that the greatest pictures in the world were taken with just a camera and two people, subject and photographer.

  • #2
    Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

    There are levels. Top end campaigns can end up costing tens of millions of dollars. Obviously, shooting is only fraction of the total cost. Every team member is examining photos to make sure their part of the job is coming across well in the images.

    Who is paying? Someone that thinks the effort is profitable.

    Also, there has never been such a thing as "only a photographer and a model". Location, props, equipment, make up, hair, outfit, film development... even Brassai had help from the location. In order to make a great photo, it needs to be a photo of something.
    Last edited by skoobey; 04-16-2015, 02:25 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

      Originally posted by skoobey View Post

      Who is paying? Someone that thinks the effort is profitable.
      That is not what I asked for and you know it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

        Client is paying. There is no other answer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

          Originally posted by skoobey View Post
          Client is paying. There is no other answer.
          Are you done with your useless answers?? Let somebody else that actually understands the question, answer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

            Originally posted by blohan View Post
            I've noticed that there are people on a computer looking at the pictures the photographers shoot, what are they supposed to be? Also, who pays for all of that?? I see how photographers can't shoot anyone without a team of 50 people, well who's paying??

            It's interesting to note that the greatest pictures in the world were taken with just a camera and two people, subject and photographer.
            You mean tethered shooting?

            It's usually handy since the client can give a feedback based on image that he's seeing in a large and calibrated monitor.

            And skoobey is right. The cliente is paying.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

              Originally posted by Renato Gonçalve View Post
              You mean tethered shooting?

              It's usually handy since the client can give a feedback based on image that he's seeing in a large and calibrated monitor.

              And skoobey is right. The cliente is paying.
              but is the client paying for all those people directly or through the photographer?? and who owns all that equipment?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                Originally posted by blohan View Post
                but is the client paying for all those people directly or through the photographer?? and who owns all that equipment?
                As other’s have said, yes, the client is paying (who else would be)?
                Who owns the equipment? Could be the photographer, could be a rental company. Could be a bit of both. Does it matter?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                  Photography is no longer a dude in a studio with some equipment and a small staff. Most big photographers hire a service that shows up with everything and the entire cost is written off to the client. Chances are that Annie Leibovitz owns no cameras. And she's not the only one. She certainly doesn't waste any money maintaining an expensive studio space in Manhattan.

                  Unfortunately for retouchers, some of these digital service companies also market themselves as retouching experts. And the we have to fix that crap once the file is flattened.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                    Lumping* all photographers or retouchers who might work for them or others on staff serves no purpose. I’ve got lots of former photo classmates that operate a one man, I mean one dude shops and some that operate a huge staff with talented retouchers. YMMV.

                    *All generalizations are false, including this one.
                    Mark Twain
                    Last edited by andrewrodney; 04-16-2015, 04:35 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                      Originally posted by andrewrodney View Post
                      As other’s have said, yes, the client is paying (who else would be)?
                      Who owns the equipment? Could be the photographer, could be a rental company. Could be a bit of both. Does it matter?
                      Yes IT DOES MATTER

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                        Originally posted by blohan View Post
                        Yes IT DOES MATTER
                        Now why would that be?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                          Originally posted by andrewrodney View Post
                          Now why would that be?
                          Well if you don't understand why it does matter, you are worthless.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                            Well if you don't understand why it does matter, you are worthless.
                            Apparently you’re not here to get silly questions answered but rather to present yourself as a spoiled little child.

                            WTF do you think pays? We’ve provided an obvious and correct answer to a rather stupid question.

                            OK, the client doesn’t pay, the US government pays.
                            It’s all done for free.
                            Photographers do it for the mere joy of taking pictures.

                            Pick any of these silly answers if it makes you happy and gets you to move on.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: What are those computers on the photoshoots?

                              Originally posted by andrewrodney View Post
                              Lumping* all photographers or retouchers who might work for them or others on staff serves no purpose. I’ve got lots of former photo classmates that operate a one man, I mean one dude shops and some that operate a huge staff with talented retouchers. YMMV.

                              *All generalizations are false, including this one.
                              Mark Twain
                              You should stick with color management seminars. "Talented Retouchers" don't work in house for photographers. Go back to LL and mystify the hobbyists with your alchemy. This is a retouchers forum.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • thomasgeorge
                                Cleaning originals
                                by thomasgeorge
                                Regarding the cleaning of photographs...do you restrict this to only the gelatin prints or do you extend this to the albumin prints as well? It was my understanding based on a study done by Paul Messier and Timothy Vitale and reported in the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 1994 vol....
                                01-20-2002, 04:41 PM
                              • Ed_L
                                The pictures from Iraq
                                by Ed_L
                                It's hard to find words to describe how the American people feel about the alarming pictures coming out of Iraq today. I'm absolutely positive that almost 100% of U. S.citizens are saddened by the actions of a few of us. It won't mean much, but I'd like to apologize to the citizens of the world for...
                                04-30-2004, 09:31 PM
                              • thomasgeorge
                                Is it worth it?
                                by thomasgeorge
                                All my working life I have been involved in the saving of lives, first as an RN specalist in Critical Care and Emergency Medicine and for the last part as a Firefighter/ALS Paramedic. One of the less "nice" things I and all other Medical and Public Safety folks study is mass casualty managment--triage,...
                                09-16-2001, 11:37 PM
                              • paulette conlan
                                Pictures from the Hubble Space Telescope
                                by paulette conlan
                                There was a story in my local paper today( picked up from the LA Times) reporting that all of those beautiful technicolor images of the universe are actually black and white photos colorized and "reconstructed" for public consumption. I never remember coming across that information before....
                                09-09-2003, 02:54 PM
                              • BigAl
                                Tent on Malolotja revisited
                                by BigAl
                                I recently asked my students, as part of an Internet awareness assignment, "What is the significance of the 'Tent on Malolotja'?". As this image was discussed in an earlier thread, I thought I'd share what the students found.

                                What I was actually after was:
                                • what had been done?
                                • you
                                ...
                                04-08-2002, 04:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X