Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone Stamp for Just Color

Good morning-
    I need to paint with color only and not texture. I tried changing the mode to color and hue but was not successful. How can I only paint with a sample color using the clone stamp?

thx-

Doug

Re: Clone Stamp for Just Color

I appreciate that you are learning, but at least try to google something before asking the question.

If you are cloning on an empty layer, the layer needs to be set to color... if you are cloning on the initial layer you can set the tool to color and be done with it.

This is because the clone tool affects color within the layer, and because the layer was empty it moves the pixels from below. Now the pixels are moved together with color, but because layer is set to "normal" it affects the layers bellow just like any other cloning, and in order to also affect color you would need to clone over the same spot twice. First time will fill up empty pixels and second time will affect color of the pixels.
    Last edited by skoobey; 07-20-2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

First learn to ask properly formatted questions. It's poorly written in its current form.

I'm going to assume that the problem is you want to work on a blank layer. When you want to use a blank layer, swap your blending modes between the layer and tool.

For example say you want mimic the ratio r : g : b relative to the sampled value, but you want r + g + b to remain constant. To achieve this on a layer that is entirely opaque and contains image data, such as your background layer or a copy of it, you would set your clone tool to color and leave your layer blending mode on normal. If you want to relegate the work to a blank layer and achieve the same effect, reverse the two. Now your clone tool is set to normal and your layer blending mode is set to color.

It's a somewhat general rule. I'm not going into edge cases.

Comment

You know what... the heck w/ you guys.... ask a question and get a hard time... If you don't want to answer, then don't... But to start off reprimanding one for their question... who needs that?

Comment

Originally posted by ylwdog View Post
          You know what... the heck w/ you guys.... ask a question and get a hard time... If you don't want to answer, then don't... But to start off reprimanding one for their question... who needs that?
          She just need a boyfriend. Ignore her. Put you clone mode in color. It would solve your problem.

Comment

I still gave you a well written answer. It would have been easier to write if I was sure of what you were asking. This means including relevant information. If you read the first line of it, you would see that I had to make some assumptions due to the omissions in your question.

That you just stuck to that part without even acknowledging a good answer tells me that you're a complete jackass.

Comment

+1000

There are way too many soapboxes around the net. Way too many self-proclaimed experts, you get the point.

You got your answer, run with it, don't pay attention. Granted, most of the answers are out there for google to find, however, if every one googles, there will be no need for sites like this.

Sites like RetouchPro adds value to the answer, I googled your question and found the answer out there, however, it was explained better here. Then again, why do you think sites like this, eventually deteriorates and loses membership?

Comment

I have noticed a drop in our famous hospitality lately. I'm open to suggestions as to how to address this.
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
                  I have noticed a drop in our famous hospitality lately. I'm open to suggestions as to how to address this.
                  That one was posted on a grumpy day for me. I still see lazy questions that omit way too many details, but I don't normally call them out on it. You'll notice a lot of first posts go unanswered. Some of them would still go unnoticed. Part of the issue there is that the similar posts suggestions tends to bring up threads from several years ago. Beyond that a lot of questions examine a concrete problem experienced by a single person yet pose it as a general question. This leads to a much longer response to cover all non trivial cases, guess work, or loss of interest.

What was telling here was that the person didn't even acknowledge that he was given two cogent answers. He focused on the wrong thing. Reading it back I'm not sure he's a native English speaker, which might make it more difficult.

Comment

Wow. The responses, although good answers, were unnecessarily insulting to a guy who's been hanging around here since 2009. I'm sure that wasn't the original intent but to start calling names afterwards? Instead of trying to justify poor behavior - apologize. We all have bad days. Don't try to blame the original poster for being offended.

This site has plenty of users that ask questions or post concerns some of us may find simple or easy to Google. Still, most are graciously answered. It's also filled with one-timers looking to have work done for free in which case many others members oblige, then they're never heard from again.

I thought it was a good question about a specific tool's blend mode that isn't as well known. I'm sure that others beside myself learned something (after the initial shock of course). Isn't that the point of this forum?
                    Last edited by nrsm; 07-22-2015, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nrsm View Post
                      Wow. The responses, although good answers, were unnecessarily insulting to a guy who's been hanging around here since 2009.
                      That just means that he should know to include sufficient detail.

Note the

I'm going to assume that the problem is you want to work on a blank layer. When you want to use a blank layer, swap your blending modes between the layer and tool
                      When I write something, I try to include detail. If you look at his response, he didn't even acknowledge that an answer was given. That is beyond rude, and it just tells me that he's an inconsiderate person. I wrote one line telling him to write better questions, followed by around four trying to explain it in a restricted sense so that if someone else comes across this looking for the same information, they aren't misled by his ambiguity.

Comment

Oh come on people. How was I rude? He asked a very vague question, I answered in great detail.

I absolutely hold no grudge against the OP, and the remark to google-ing it is because it's a very simple thing that has been answered time and time again. What am I to do, explain what layers are, when there are so many good explanations already(probably better ones than what I can provide, as I am not writing a book here).

Comment

For clarification, one response wasn't rude (sorry it was mixed in). Just didn't want to point fingers.

That's changed a bit.

It's NOT OK to be condescending or to belittle someone for not crafting a sentence to your personal standards. Implying poor language skills and name calling (see Jackass) is borderline abusive.

This is not the only thread where you have been disrespectful Klev.

Being offended at a lack of gratitude for your little nugget of wisdom, which seemed to be given grudgingly on the tail end of an insult, is completely egocentric. Trying to justify is worse.

Obviously you have advanced Photoshop knowledge and possibly skills, but if you don't have the patience to graciously answer questions, why bother?

Before this receives anymore views, maybe PM the original poster an apology, edit your first response leaving only the answer, and delete your other comments. I will delete mine.
                          Last edited by nrsm; 07-23-2015, 10:01 AM. Reason: suggestion

Comment

Well I'm not getting into internet fights. Good day sir.

Comment

Hi

Not much about good behaviour on forums in this "rule", but I'v seen "moderators" (other forums), zapping comments for less. My 2¢
                              RetouchPRO Rules
                              Although the administrators and moderators of RetouchPRO will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of RetouchPRO, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of RetouchPRO reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
                              Pierre

Comment