Background Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Ideas

Any ideas on what to do with the background of this image?

Original

In Progress Edit

It's really distracting. I want to keep the setting true to the original, well rather as realistic as possible. Like I don't want to place the subjects in an entirely different / new environment; and just blurring it out doesn't seem to look too great. By the way, they are at the zoo. I am still working on the other repairs, but this just keeps bugging me at every glance.

Thanks,
    -ar

Re: Background Ideas

I would have stayed much closer to the original. Right now it just looks blocked up.

Comment

Well, actually at the time of posting my call for inspirational help on the forum here, I had not really addressed the background or thought about it. Thus far, my concentration has been focused on the other repairs. Like while filling in the cracks, I randomly looked up and noticed that the background was turning into something problematic. All that to say: yeah, I agree on the blockiness, and so some ideas on a solution? Bring back (more) of the original elements, minus the cracks & creases of course,and do a slight blur on the result? That's all I can think of.
      Last edited by alreese83; 06-28-2016, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Your color and tone in the corrected photo look good. Are you working on layers so you can correct small areas individually? Then you can turn off the corrections to see the changes more quickly. Using mask also allows you to adjust the percentage of the changes.

Comment

Yes, I use layers. So, I kept the original background, minus a couple things.

-ar

Comment

Ah sorry I missed your initial response. I would have gotten rid of the cracks before doing anything else (permanent). Adding too much contrast can really kill the feeling of it. Most stuff from that period didn't have super high contrast.

Comment

What's he showing those girls? A steak hot off the grill?

Comment

Ha, nope. It's a baby turtle, destined to become this guy here.

Comment

That's a wonderful photo, and you did an admirable job of restoring it. I think the background looks just fine.

Comment

I think you should stick with the original background and you are doing good in editing I guess. Just dont contrast the background much, just fix up those remaining crack and it would be fine.

Comment

Thanks.
                      -ar

Comment

Originally posted by alreese83 View Post
                        Thanks.
                        -ar
                        You welcome

Comment