Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets talk about this fantastic style

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lets talk about this fantastic style

    i been joined retouchpro for 7 years. i think there are many ways to achieve some looks. for us, we can work it out somehow sooner or later. however i ask the same question now here. the aim is to find out if you guys have a awesome way that i never mention before , or maybe i have go the wrong way.
    photographer lachlan bailey's work have a outstanding third dimension style. looks like there is always some oil in the skin of the models. to get the high range detail from shadow to high light,i think he may shoot in large digital format camera with 16 bit images. but he must do lots of retouching as well i think. do u guys have some words to say? please feel free to comment! will be really appreciate. the follow(the front 3 links) are his works.also i have 2 pics (the last two links)to star with, hope you do enjoy
    http://www.thisisglamorous.com/wp-co...-Glamorous.jpg
    http://www.thisisglamorous.com/wp-co...-Glamorous.jpg
    http://www.thisisglamorous.com/wp-co...-Glamorous.jpg

    http://orig09.deviantart.net/924f/f/...ng-dabjzp7.jpg
    http://orig11.deviantart.net/6f68/f/...ng-dabjzbd.jpg

  • #2
    Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

    Originally posted by kekedavinci View Post
    i been joined retouchpro for 7 years. i think there are many ways to achieve some looks. for us, we can work it out somehow sooner or later. however i ask the same question now here. the aim is to find out if you guys have a awesome way that i never mention before , or maybe i have go the wrong way.
    photographer lachlan bailey's work have a outstanding third dimension style. looks like there is always some oil in the skin of the models. to get the high range detail from shadow to high light,i think he may shoot in large digital format camera with 16 bit images. but he must do lots of retouching as well i think.
    16 bits per channel won't impact the aesthetic of it. It allows you to encode a greater number of values. They don't appear to be oiled. Highlights don't make those exact shapes on oiled skin. I think that part is mostly lighting and post work, although some of those highlights look a little ridiculous to me. Some of them track leg shapes better than others.

    I would suggest tan model for the highlights. There are lotions that can be used to give a bit of extra shine, but you won't get that without post work. If you want something that looks like that deeper skintone, the model will need to be tan. You will still end up with some amount of work to get that kind of skintone, but without a tan model the end results won't be very good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

      Originally posted by klev View Post
      16 bits per channel won't impact the aesthetic of it. It allows you to encode a greater number of values. They don't appear to be oiled. Highlights don't make those exact shapes on oiled skin. I think that part is mostly lighting and post work, although some of those highlights look a little ridiculous to me. Some of them track leg shapes better than others.

      I would suggest tan model for the highlights. There are lotions that can be used to give a bit of extra shine, but you won't get that without post work. If you want something that looks like that deeper skintone, the model will need to be tan. You will still end up with some amount of work to get that kind of skintone, but without a tan model the end results won't be very good.
      klev, glad to see u here again ! i think high bit means high quality. model in the photos is Andreea Diaconu . she is white . to make the tan dark skin in post work is necessary, cuz white skin cant not achieve the grey from light to dark. it's not obvious that a highlight in a white skin look clear.so ,i think its all post work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

        Originally posted by kekedavinci View Post
        she is white . to make the tan dark skin in post work is necessary, cuz white skin cant not achieve the grey from light to dark. it's not obvious that a highlight in a white skin look clear.so ,i think its all post work.
        I googled her by name. She still appears to have a decent tan. If you start off with someone too light, it's a lot more difficult. This is one of those things where I would use channel mixer on skin, because it lets me deepen things without adding significant local contrast, which would lend a rough appearance to the skin.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

          Originally posted by klev View Post
          I googled her by name. She still appears to have a decent tan. If you start off with someone too light, it's a lot more difficult. This is one of those things where I would use channel mixer on skin, because it lets me deepen things without adding significant local contrast, which would lend a rough appearance to the skin.
          to darken the skin is what i wanna talking about here. im curious how do u use channel mixer, if u change the blend mode to multiply?my method is make a bw layer and apply a darken blend mode . can u explain more?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

            Originally posted by kekedavinci View Post
            to darken the skin is what i wanna talking about here. im curious how do u use channel mixer, if u change the blend mode to multiply?my method is make a bw layer and apply a darken blend mode . can u explain more?
            I'm familiar with that strategy. Your results may differ, but I arrived at consistently terrible results doing it that way. Using blending modes like softlight or multiply will usually block up your shadows, and it definitely makes the skin look rough.

            You can mask off skin and bring each of the channels down by a small amount. Adjust the ratios as needed. Alternatively, mask out the skin and try bringing a single point on a curves layer down somewhat. You can do this channel by channel for red, green, and blue if you like. Either use r,g, and b or the rgb curve, not both (it's redundant). Never use more than one point. If it's not enough, use a different strategy. Using too many points on a curve is essentially overfitting. You don't have a sufficient level of feedback to make reasonable assertions of what an optimal curve with 3-4 points would look like, and even 2 is often pushing it.

            You can also use a brightness contrast layer. Lower brightness. If the skin starts to look too rough, lower contrast slightly. Adobe replaced the old crappy brightness algorithm somewhere around CS5 or so. The version that appeared in CS5 and 6 just scaled channel coordinates, which delivers better results than something weighted by mean or median values.

            You'll still need to be smart about your choice of images. If lighting is flat and model looks pale, don't expect too much. If you start off with something reasonable, you should be able to match the results in your links. You also don't need to worry about medium format digital. You can get a sufficient level of quality from any dslr these days.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

              Have your MUA apply generous amount of Bronzer on your subject. http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...-boutique.html.

              Once in post, apply D&B along with a curve or two. Done!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                Have your MUA apply generous amount of Bronzer on your subject. http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...-boutique.html.

                Once in post, apply D&B along with a curve or two. Done!
                It's the DNB mask that requires skill, making a simple three point curve is easy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                  Originally posted by klev View Post
                  I'm familiar with that strategy. Your results may differ, but I arrived at consistently terrible results doing it that way. Using blending modes like softlight or multiply will usually block up your shadows, and it definitely makes the skin look rough.

                  You can mask off skin and bring each of the channels down by a small amount. Adjust the ratios as needed. Alternatively, mask out the skin and try bringing a single point on a curves layer down somewhat. You can do this channel by channel for red, green, and blue if you like. Either use r,g, and b or the rgb curve, not both (it's redundant). Never use more than one point. If it's not enough, use a different strategy. Using too many points on a curve is essentially overfitting. You don't have a sufficient level of feedback to make reasonable assertions of what an optimal curve with 3-4 points would look like, and even 2 is often pushing it.





                  You can also use a brightness contrast layer. Lower brightness. If the skin starts to look too rough, lower contrast slightly. Adobe replaced the old crappy brightness algorithm somewhere around CS5 or so. The version that appeared in CS5 and 6 just scaled channel coordinates, which delivers better results than something weighted by mean or median values.

                  You'll still need to be smart about your choice of images. If lighting is flat and model looks pale, don't expect too much. If you start off with something reasonable, you should be able to match the results in your links. You also don't need to worry about medium format digital. You can get a sufficient level of quality from any dslr these days.
                  klev,thx very much for your advice.i will keep in mind when do post work.
                  i did a version here, not that good,so if u do interesting you can have it a try.
                  http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                    Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                    Have your MUA apply generous amount of Bronzer on your subject. http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-...-boutique.html.

                    Once in post, apply D&B along with a curve or two. Done!
                    should do the MU all over the body , u mean it ? looks like u did this DB curves before?
                    my version here :
                    http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                      Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                      It's the DNB mask that requires skill, making a simple three point curve is easy.
                      would u try one? original pic here:http://orig11.deviantart.net/6f68/f/...ng-dabjzbd.jpg
                      and my version here: sorry it is not good.
                      http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                        Originally posted by kekedavinci View Post
                        should do the MU all over the body , u mean it ? looks like u did this DB curves before?
                        my version here :
                        http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg
                        It is all about money, budget and time. Much cheaper and faster to get as close as possible to the final outcome before you even start shooting.

                        Post work is just a final step to fine-tune the outcome. You can't do everything in post. A good retoucher will cost you more than 10 times the cost of good MUA.

                        Your effort is good, but, we will never come close to the real thing , we might get the "look" but not the "feel". You have a lot of desaturated areas which is the result of D&B if not done properly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                          Originally posted by kekedavinci View Post
                          klev,thx very much for your advice.i will keep in mind when do post work.
                          i did a version here, not that good,so if u do interesting you can have it a try.
                          http://orig03.deviantart.net/a043/f/...ng-dabs5wr.jpg
                          Your lighting could use some work. Post work could be worse, but it's a good example why I don't like messing with blending modes. In this case it added way too much contrast to the skin. In fact it tells me that you didn't look at your reference while you worked on this. Otherwise I think you would have spotted it right away.

                          As I mentioned mask off your skin. You're applying a really heavy handed adjustment to it, and it looks bad because of that. Compare to the results you were trying to achieve. They might have a couple bright isolated highlights, but they do not have that super high contrast skin that you show here. They also look better without it. Regardless of bronzer, it takes some post work to get that result. Either makeup can't make it sufficiently even or the makeup starts to wear a little and it needs touch up in post or it's just not enough to create the desired impact.

                          While I agree with Aladdin that you should do whatever is practical via makeup, the examples still have obvious post work. He and I don't typically agree though. I don't like to discuss the initial production, because focusing on multiple optimizations at any given time is a bad idea.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                            I think that this website needs a huge update. I think that the look can get some much-needed updating. I have to be right at the screen to see the words and I think it looks like a 1980's first websites looking thing. That's just my opinion though!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: lets talk about this fantastic style

                              troll
                              troll
                              troll

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X