Lightroom tutorial help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightroom tutorial help needed

I was searching for retouching tutorials on modern homes, more specifically white modern homes, and I couldn't find any actual tutorials on the subject. I find it very hard to believe. I did a google and youtube search and only one video by sergei something ( sorry idr his name ) and it was not really much of a tutorial about a white modern home but a white modern hotel room. Which is not the same thing. While links were seeming to point to using photoshop only.

So I came on to the forums, here to ask if anyone in here, has any links to good tutorials for retouching white modern homes ( both exterior and interior ) in lightroom, without a single aid in photoshop...thanks in advance and sorry for any and all difficulties understanding what I'm trying to get across.

The reason I want LR is because I am currently retouching several images of such properties, with one single image given to me and thus, I am forced to fix much of the underexposed, overexposed parts of the raw/nef images without the proper balance ( about 80% of the time ), and in some cases i get both underexpose and overexposed in the same image just on different sides of the image. Sometimes even in one within the other ( small windows or walls that have light at the edge...-_-....

While i understand photoshop can solve these issues, I have upper management refusing to use photoshop and forcing me to do everything in LR as it can get the majority of images in and out, within faster times.

Re: Lightroom tutorial help needed

Well, you said it yourself. Trying to retouch without using Photoshop... not gonna happen.
    There is no complex masking in LR.

How do you even "retouch" in LR? There are no layers? Lightroom is a raw development, and library/export tool. Just show them that it's much faster with PS.

Comment

Originally posted by voidsource View Post
      ...The reason I want LR is because I am currently retouching several images of such properties, with one single image given to me and thus, I am forced to fix much of the underexposed, overexposed parts of the raw/nef images without the proper balance ( about 80% of the time ), and in some cases i get both underexpose and overexposed in the same image just on different sides of the image. Sometimes even in one within the other ( small windows or walls that have light at the edge...-_-....

While i understand photoshop can solve these issues, I have upper management refusing to use photoshop and forcing me to do everything in LR as it can get the majority of images in and out, within faster times.
      Ideally fixing in raw for under/overexposed is the best way forward including under/over in the same image using tools such as graduated filter, adjustment brush, targeted adjustments and spot removal. Finally outputting in the required file format and colour space.

IF the original capture is first class (which should include such things as even and balanced lighting) then it may be possible to stay within LR through to final output.

But for those times when you need to deal with a less than ideal capture LR limitations will hinder you and Photoshop or similar may be the only logical course of action.

You could of course edit your raw in PS ACR engine and output as required without really touching PS editing features for those occasions you get a near perfect image to work on and reserve PS for the more 'difficult' ones.

Still it may just be a case of upper management lack of understanding or not wanting to spend money on a PS package - but the monthly package CC seems to me quite reasonable and maybe justifiable ?

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
        Well, you said it yourself. Trying to retouch without using Photoshop... not gonna happen.
        There is no complex masking in LR.

How do you even "retouch" in LR? There are no layers? Lightroom is a raw development, and library/export tool. Just show them that it's much faster with PS.
        Management refuses to do so. If it was up to me I would have done it in PS but I've come to see that LR is quite faster in some aspects and can handle things much more accurately and helps save some headaches that PS might otherwise wise bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
          Ideally fixing in raw for under/overexposed is the best way forward including under/over in the same image using tools such as graduated filter, adjustment brush, targeted adjustments and spot removal. Finally outputting in the required file format and colour space.

IF the original capture is first class (which should include such things as even and balanced lighting) then it may be possible to stay within LR through to final output.

But for those times when you need to deal with a less than ideal capture LR limitations will hinder you and Photoshop or similar may be the only logical course of action.

You could of course edit your raw in PS ACR engine and output as required without really touching PS editing features for those occasions you get a near perfect image to work on and reserve PS for the more 'difficult' ones.

Still it may just be a case of upper management lack of understanding or not wanting to spend money on a PS package - but the monthly package CC seems to me quite reasonable and maybe justifiable ?

Well money isn't the issue and they already have the bundle ( LR/ PS ) Package, they just find it easier to fix sometimes an image themselves with LR and therefore don't want to open PS for anything if possible.

But still I was wondering if anyone has tutorials or know of for retouching white modern homes. Thanks for replying though.

Comment

Dang. I only have tutorials on pink and yellow modern homes.

Comment

Feel free to share that. Maybe I might learn a few things

Comment

It was a joke ahaahha a real subtle one

Comment

You are retouching pixels. Not houses. There is no difference between retouching white cat or white house. If it's too bright make it darker, it it's too dark make it brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulack View Post
                    You are retouching pixels. Not houses. There is no difference between retouching white cat or white house. If it's too bright make it darker, it it's too dark make it brighter.
                    Gee, why didn't I think of that? lol
                    And photoshop is just another editing software that does not require
                    tutorials, bc you know, you are just copying here placing there,
                    changing a pixel or two....thanks for the very helpful insight. I really,
                    did not know lightroom was for that.

Comment

No, photoshop is a retouching software.
                      Lightroom is an editing software, they compliment each other, and don't replace one another.

He is giving you sound advice, might as well listen.

Comment

Gee, why didn't I think of that? lol
                        And photoshop is just another editing software that does not require
                        tutorials, bc you know, you are just copying here placing there,
                        changing a pixel or two....thanks for the very helpful insight. I really,
                        did not know lightroom was for that.
                        You said you need a specific tutorial about retouching "white modern homes". I doubt there is any, but you can easy find a tutorial "how to clean background" for example. Doesn't matter what color, it will be the same tutorial.

Comment

So I came on to the forums, here to ask if anyone in here, has any links to good tutorials for retouching white modern homes ( both exterior and interior ) in lightroom, without a single aid in photoshop...
                          You've got a lot of interesting answers and opinions but I don't see anyone asking you what you mean by retouch (so, answers based on some speculation). Exactly what are you hoping to accomplish? Saying one needs to retouch an image is akin to someone saying they need to cook food; there's a huge range of options and needs here, LR may very well be fine for what you hope to accomplish.

Case in point. You have a home and you need to remove telephone wires and replace the sky. You could in theory do the wires but it would be a boatload of work! Forget about replacing the sky. You need a pixel editor like Photoshop for that. But if your goal is fixing what appears to be clipped highlights and that data does exist in the raw, sending the clipped, rendered TIFF into Photoshop to 'fix this' would be really dumb! So we have different tools for differing jobs and the old saying, use the right tool for the right job applies. What specifically is the 'retouch' job(s) required for these images of homes? With more data, we (I'll) try to assist. Without data, we're just posters with opinions.

Comment