Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Crunchy Skin Look

Hi everyone.

There are many cool ways in photoshop or captureone to make a normal even skin looking great. To give the skin a beautiful "crunchy" texture. It doesn't matter if it's in the hard sunlight or in the shadow. I think the technique is the same at the end. And I am not talking about dodge and burn or about just adding some "Noise" filter to the image.

The only technique i saw is with the Filter > Texture > Texturizer to add so Emboss texture from a neutral gray layer.

But I am sure there are better really professional techniques out there.

Let's collect the best ones here.

Thanks for any input and feedback!

Padi

Here are some example pictures:

http://www.rumberos.net/rumberos/ima...agazine-12.jpg

https://ddjo6gicoqjxi.cloudfront.net...1449513693.jpg

http://www.somewhere-magazine.com/wp...n-ONeill-6.jpg

http://oraclefox.com/wp-content/uplo...cle-Fox.14.jpg

Re: Beautiful Crunchy Skin Look

Originally posted by padi View Post
    But I am sure there are better really professional techniques out there.

Let's collect the best ones here.

This has been discussed to death over the years. Tan skin with significant reflectivity tends to have a more pronounced texture. The skin itself is quite dark, but they maintained some highlights. Otherwise it would just appear dark.

You can accomplish most of this by masking off the skin as necessary and darkening it. Most of it just comes down to details, and every image is different. I suggest learning by picking a reference that appears to be shot under similar lighting and trying to match it. Keep the reference image up alongside your image while you work.

The problem with exact recipes is they tend to lack robustness. A small change in image source or reference breaks a lot of recipes.

Comment

Only method I found useful for achieving results like above is to dodge and burn to make tones lovely, no channel mask or a curve got me even close.

Comment

Maybe also the blue channel on a new layer in multiply mode can do part of the job

Comment

Originally posted by marameo View Post
          Maybe also the blue channel on a new layer in multiply mode can do part of the job
          It's blue channel on luminosity, not multiply... try before advising? What you are suggesting would seriously clip the skin.

Comment

I am now trying the Luminosity mode also and it gives the same effect. If one plays with the opacity (~30%) they will end up looking the same.

An untouched curve blended in multiply mode at low opacity can add to that.

Comment