Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: How to remove reflections from a pool

Hey all,

I'm working on a project right now, and I need to remove a reflection from the right hand side of the surface of a pool. (see attached.) I've tried a few things, (freq sep, cloning, painting) but at this point I figure it would be better to pose the problem to you all and see if anyone might have some suggestions as to what approach they might take. I've attached the image below.

Thanks in advance!!
    Sam
    Attached Files

Re: Help: How to remove reflections from a pool

I'd find a pool shot from one of the cheaper photo libraries and either blend it into the existing left edge water surface or totally replace the water surface, maintaining the details that integrate the new water in the scene.

Comment

Try duplicating the right-hand side of the image and change the blend mode to multiply and with layer mask brush away the areas that do not need enhancing.

Comment

Filled with color in multiply mode. Keeps the same ripples, shadows, and other detail under the water.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shoku View Post
          Filled with color in multiply mode. Keeps the same ripples, shadows, and other detail under the water.
          Impressive fix Shoku ... please explain a little more about how you did that, for newbies as myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lacogada View Post
            Impressive fix Shoku ... please explain a little more about how you did that, for newbies as myself.
            1. Create a new layer.
            2. Use the eye dropper to select the water color.
            3. Fill the new layer with the selected color.
            4. Change the blend mode on the new layer to Multiply.
            5. Create a layer mask on the new layer and fill the mask with black.
            6. Using a brush, paint with white in the layer mask to bring back the color in the areas that need it.
            7. Adjust the layer opacity so the overall water color is as close as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoku View Post
              1. Create a new layer.
              2. Use the eye dropper to select the water color.
              3. Fill the new layer with the selected color.
              4. Change the blend mode on the new layer to Multiply.
              5. Create a layer mask on the new layer and fill the mask with black.
              6. Using a brush, paint with white in the layer mask to bring back the color in the areas that need it.
              7. Adjust the layer opacity so the overall water color is as close as possible.
              Thank you !

Comment

Nice easy effective solution...Thanks

Comment

Seriously folks? How does the surface of the water, in any way, relate to the sky in the scene or indeed the sun drenched poolside. Water with ripple shadows but no highlights?? You really need to consider the impact on the whole scene when you make major changes to key elements.

Comment

Hey all,

Thanks for all your solutions! Given the nature of the job, and the look of the other pictures in the collection, I ended up choosing to build some water from scratch, and masked it in at ~75% opacity. What I found is that many of the easiest approaches (adding the blue color to the right side via blend modes, cloning, etc) made for a very "retouched" look. I chose a path that incorporates many of these ideas, but each applied very gently.

I will upload a JPEG of the finished image, and a brief overview of how I achieved the results. Stay tuned, I'm not at my computer right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X