Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help retouching products

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered this forum and I'm looking for some advice. I'm a photographer looking to learn re-touching for product photography. Jewelery, in particular I am finding really difficult. I have tried to attach some images I'm hoping it works if not there is more of my work that can be seen here:
    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ro...ewelery?sort=3

I am doing the basic healing and cloning on the images but I get confused when it comes to which blur or noise filter I should use. I am using adjustment layers for all of it so I can affect just part of the image. I'm just not sure where I should go to find out how to learn this type of retouching work. So any advice or help if greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Looking for help retouching products

There is no blur. I assume you know how the jewelry is shot with multiple light set ups and multiple focus planes for a single image, open aperture, shallow DOF etc...

For retouching - no blur. Pen tool for masking, Micro painting, cloning and DNB. Add noise as desired/need for the area or an entire shot.

Comment

I haven't retouched jewellery in years but I remember clients being really fussy about the precious stones. They want to see every cut facet well defined and each stone defined against the mount. Ugly metal reflections need to be removed which can be quite tricky inside the hoops - shiny metal or brushed/satin metals should retain their inherent reflective qualities and sometimes you have to add that with a brush. Mass market stuff needs a more production line approach. Lots of USM, Dust and scratches filter etc. Generally, your products are quite small within the picture which adds another dimension of clarity - perhaps less busy backgrounds or subtle halo lighting would help the products 'pop'. Yessir, you can burn a lot of hours retouching jewellery!

Comment

Originally posted by Repairman View Post
        perhaps less busy backgrounds or subtle halo lighting would help the products 'pop'.
        +1

My first impression when looking at your photos was that the backgrounds were rather distracting. I found myself looking at them rather than the products.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabrina81 View Post
          My first impression when looking at your photos was that the backgrounds were rather distracting. I found myself looking at them rather than the products.
          Exactly. Focus should be on the jewelry, backgrounds should accentuate not overwhelm. Example: your image of the black rocks is an image of rocks with jewelry, and it should be an image of jewelry on a rock.
          Last edited by Shoku; 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Blur filter is bad. Forget it exists. Healing brush is near useless here, because it has trouble with areas that fall along a high contrast boundary. I did some product work. I don't know that I ever did any jewelry, but just looking at work done by others, some of the basics are extremely obvious. You use a lot of masks. Some of the images are very nice, but the backgrounds are a bit busy. In some cases the background elements also seem too large relative to the jewelry.

Comment

For Retouching: healing and clone stamp will be handy in removing the dust, blemishes etc. Sometimes here and there we need to paint manually in order to remove the odd reflections in the jewelry. In order to make the product to pop out more, you can go for sharpening the product.

If you have opted for Blur tool, you may use it to defocus the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabrina81 View Post
                +1

I am also totally agree with you. The background is distracting from product, to show product shots the best option is to use a plain or white background.

Comment

Photo Retouching is not a cup of tea for everyone. Their are lots of Jewelry Retouching services provider in market where where you can take idea how to retouch. You can also take help of youtube to learn retouching.

Comment

So, is UK USA in Englandshire?

Comment

I find it pretty strange that a first post over 2 weeks ago the OP not returned - or has he?

Originally posted by Repairman View Post
                      So, is UK USA in Englandshire?
                      No Sir, it is in Britainshire.

Getting a little fed up of those seeking free advertising and web page hits and so having a little time to spare.

stevewalker (I dont think so! ) busted in this thread
                      http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...etouching.html

retouchingexpert.co.uk has an estimated worth of $167 (£130.56, but a lot of rupees 10,794.31) and have an estimated daily income of $1.

Neither UK or USA but based in India (Delhi) with accommodation address in USA.

Another GoDaddy lurker:
                      Why would anyone even want to look at a company that hides behind a Domain Name Registrar whose purpose is to hide the user's real information including location from WHOIS by substituting forwarding service both email and postal using a proxy server ?
                      Last edited by Tony W; 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Yep, the attempts to sneak in ads are rather pathetic. The links lead to the same old sites with never an address block to be seen. Talking of which of which, I've heard Banjaxyourfeckinpixels.com are great at masks that nearly fit.

Comment

It would help if Doug gave someone the ability to clean up spam, delete accounts, and block their IP ranges.

Comment

All that you do in any field of photography and correcting begins with a thought, however, to accomplish your vision, you should realize how to shape, control, and change the light that enlightens your subject.

As a product photographer and retoucher, understanding the essentials of light and how it communicates with various surfaces is critical to my work.

Comment