Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How have these photos been colour graded

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How have these photos been colour graded

    Hello. This is my first post on Retouchpro. I imagine this will seem like a very simple question for many, but would appreciate ideas on how these three images have been colour graded. Many thanks
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: How have these photos been colour graded

    Use "Auto color" to degrade it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How have these photos been colour graded

      I think it used Color Presets in Lightroom.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How have these photos been colour graded

        Thanks Tulack. I tried to do this, but was confused by the results. There seemed to be the same change to the green and red curves, which I didn't understand.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How have these photos been colour graded

          Anthony A: Thanks. I thought it was probably some kind of preset, but wanted a breakdown of the actual colour changes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How have these photos been colour graded

            Originally posted by Antony_A View Post
            I think it used Color Presets in Lightroom.
            Presets are just recorded steps, so this statement make no sense.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: How have these photos been colour graded

              Originally posted by AL23 View Post
              Thanks Tulack. I tried to do this, but was confused by the results. There seemed to be the same change to the green and red curves, which I didn't understand.
              Grading depends on original image.
              First image is not graded.
              Here is other two.

              https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...d8&oe=5AB025D0

              https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...a9&oe=5A800082

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                Originally posted by Tulack View Post
                Presets are just recorded steps, so this statement make no sense.
                well. and what sense has statement to use "Auto color"?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                  Thanks Tulack. A little confused by the curves on the first image. Raising red and green in the shadows should cancel each other out as they are opposites (same for the highlights). I can see for example that the reds have been raised more than the greens in the shadows. Would this mean there is an overall small increase in reds in the shadows? If so why would someone raise both the greens and reds instead of just raising the reds a small amount? Thanks again for your help

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                    Tulack: It's ok, I was being stupid. Red is opposite of Cyan not green and magenta is the opposite of green.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                      Originally posted by Tulack View Post
                      Grading depends on original image.
                      First image is not graded.
                      From Wiki: "Color grading is the process of altering and enhancing the color of a motion picture, video image, or still image electronically, photo-chemically or digitally. Color grading encompasses both color correction and the generation of artistic color effects."

                      This means that "3.jpeg" above may also have been adjusted - only way to know for sure is to see the original.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                        Originally posted by Antony_A View Post
                        well. and what sense has statement to use "Auto color"?
                        it will make "blacks" black and "highlights" white, so you will see what was added.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: How have these photos been colour graded

                          Originally posted by AL23 View Post
                          Thanks Tulack. A little confused by the curves on the first image. Raising red and green in the shadows should cancel each other out as they are opposites (same for the highlights). I can see for example that the reds have been raised more than the greens in the shadows. Would this mean there is an overall small increase in reds in the shadows? If so why would someone raise both the greens and reds instead of just raising the reds a small amount? Thanks again for your help
                          All 3 curves were raised. Blue just a little more. Probably Luminance curve was raised to open shadows and then blue curve to grade. If you subtract luminance curve from it, grading would look like that.

                          https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=5A7C52EB

                          https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...39&oe=5A6ADC1F

                          Comment

                          Related Topics

                          Collapse

                          • Crapaud
                            How are your colour skills?
                            by Crapaud
                            Test your colour matching ability: Color method

                            What's your score? I got 5.8 on my first go - going to try again now that I know what I'm supposed to do.
                            04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
                          • Finn
                            Colour, Colour, Colour.
                            by Finn
                            Hey All,

                            So I'm a photographer but have been retouching a lot of my own work for a number of years now. I've read a lot, watched a lot of online videos and spent hours trying out techniques that I stumbled across on this forum and others. I feel as though I have a fairly good and well...
                            03-06-2012, 06:49 AM
                          • Ricardo
                            Changing a colour
                            by Ricardo
                            Hi guys. Could you please give me some advice on how to change the colour of this red flannel to a beige (or any other colour) colour. Thanks in advance.
                            10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
                          • Stroker
                            PC/Win Plug for colour cast
                            by Stroker
                            This is the plug-in that I've been working on for the past while. I've been messing with it quite a bit and I'm rather pleased with it. Not just the plug, but the technique that it is based on.

                            Intro to Curves by Steve.
                            See Page 3 for the idea that Colour 2 Colour is based on....
                            04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
                          • tracylee
                            First Step - colour??
                            by tracylee
                            Hi!

                            I haven't retouched or restored images in a while (got distracted with digital Scrapbooking)

                            Anyway, I got my hands on a few old family photos. Some of them are B&W, but some are colour.

                            My question: when restoring/retouching, should I fix...
                            03-30-2010, 03:30 AM
                          Working...
                          X