Selection Artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selection Artifacts

I'm not sure how much of a tip this will be to most of you, but I wasn't using it until recently, so I figured there might be others.

Most times, when you move a selection to another image, there will be edge artifacts showing. I used to try blurring the edges, painting the edges, and rubber stamping the edges. Try this:

Make sure the proper layer is selected

Layer/Matting/Defringe

Choose a small pixel value of maybe 1 - 2 pixels

Press O.K.

If that doesn't do the trick, try a larger pixel value.

What happens is this: When you select a pixel value of, say 2 pixels, Photoshop looks *inside* the selection area to determine the value of the pixels 2 pixels in from the selection edge. It uses this value, and stretches it back to the edge of the selection. If you have to go to double digits, it's probably better to remake your selection more precicely. Give this a try. It's a real time saver.

Ed

I think I'm missing something Ed,

I made a selection using the lasso tool and then clicked on layer and the word matting is greyed out and it won't let me select it.

What did I do wrong?

Comment

Chris,

Did you move it to another image? You also need to make sure the proper layer is selected.

Ed

Comment

Hi Chris,
        The reason it is grayed out is because you need to put that selection on it's own layer by first copy and then paste then make that layer active. When you do that you will see that the matting is available to you.

It is really a neat tool just as Ed explained. Try it all 3 ways to see the different effects it has on your layer. It''s great for hair and trees where the background is dark and you want to put it on another background that is light. It makes that dark background pixels disappear from your selection and vice versa.
        DJ

Comment

Thanks, Ed! It's a GREAT tip for me!

Jeanie

Comment

Hey Ed,

Thanks and you just keep coming up with these good little tidbits of info...this is great!...
            Thanks again I tried it and it's a really nice feature that I never paid much attention to until now.

A thumbs up for you.

Comment

I'm glad it's helping someone. Debbie chose better words than I did because you don't necessarily have to paste it onto another image. You could also copy it, then paste it back onto the image it came from. Either way, it makes it's own layer. I know it saves me a lot of time. Just think - I gave a tip somebody could actually use. Who'd a thunk it?

Ed

Comment

Ed
                We all stopped believing your remarks about being an amateur a long time ago. Everything you have posted has been a learning experience for us all. If that's being an amateur than I'm still working up to becoming one. Thanks again for another good tip.
                DJ

Comment