Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting out model from background, advice please?

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• pepperphoto
    Selection Assistance Please
    pepperphoto
    Hello out there in RPland.

I am working on the attached image and 11 other variant images, for product shots that will be for the web and printed media.

What I need is the greenhouse blurred with sharp focus for the plants and light fixture.
    This image has been worked...
    06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
  • buso23
    Softening the edges on an extracted object
    buso23
    Hi,

Over here not long ago I learned a technique for softening the edges on an extracted object (I think it was a technique described in K. Eismann's book) and made it into an action, but recently I accidently deleted all my actions so it's lost now. Could anyone please describe the...
    06-02-2006, 05:45 AM
  • ItsOscar
    Can anyone help in making this clipping mask?
    ItsOscar
    I know a clipping mask lets you keep what is overlapping, but how do you keep the difference? For example, on the attached screenshot, how would I keep the red part of the ellipse? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....
    01-13-2012, 03:26 PM
  • bobzilla
    How Do I Add My Selection to A Layer Mask?
    bobzilla
    I know how to paint in the Layer Mask to make a mask, but say I use the Lasso or Magic Wand or Color Range to make a selection. How can I transfer that to my Layer Mask?

I'm in PS 7.

Thanks...
    08-15-2004, 05:55 PM
  • xgi93
    Complicated selection
    xgi93
    As can be seen from the attached (which is a cropped section of an 1897-era US Navy Cruiser rigged for both sail & steam), I am having quite a time attempting to separate the ship from the background, which is mostly sky, yet preserving as much as possible the intricate rope rigging (and is there...
    08-09-2014, 10:16 AM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting out model from background, advice please?

Hello everyone.

I am hoping for some advice on a technique to cut out this model from background for a colour change. I have always struggled to do this and would really love to learn how to do it well. Any advice would be much appreciated

Image below:

https://preview.ibb.co/caTVDy/Alaiza0934.jpg

Since the edges are all sharp, the Quick Select tool plus Refine Edge works well. (To learn many masking techniques, study Katrin Eismann's book Photoshop Masking & Compositing (2nd Edition)

colorize.jpg
    Last edited by Sabrina81; 05-13-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

image_96578.jpg So many ways to do it. One of those is Sabrina's way. Try several and use whatever suits you, I just put the Bg below the models face and used layer mask to brush away the light brown bg of the photo. using a sharp brush and blurred the mask a bit. This may not be ideal for some but I got used to it eversince I started using Photoshop.

Comment

I often use the pen tool to make a selection, then mask it off and switch to a brush to further refine the mask. Sometimes I just use a brush, really just depends on the image and what I feel like using.

Comment

Select any selection tool in PS, click "Select and Mask" on the top menu, then click "select object", some minor refinement might be required. Photoshop CC is required, latest update. total time is under 3 minutes.

Comment

Comment

Gary: I think the OP would like some advice on how to do it.

Comment

Agreed. I pondered that but what I did is mentioned in most of the previous replies other than the individual framing. Still 'how was it done' is always best. I started with select and mask in CC, fine tuned the hair selection with Quick Mask mode then copied the three to a new layer. Underneath this, I picked a BG and cropped it to match. Other than a few blemish removals and the framing, that was about it.

Comment

Working...
                X