HELP: Retouching (PS) image with white background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Retouching (PS) image with white background

I am using a white poly / cotton (non reflective) backdrop for the portraits of my 6 month old son. Using natural light and a Photogenic DR1250 Powerlight bounced for good lighting. Once and a while I'll use other colored backgrounds including yellow, blue, light grey and light green (sea mist).

The pictures come out nice, most are well exposed but in need of a minor Photoshop tweak here and there. My usual work flow is "Auto Levels" and a little bit of unsharp mask. This has always worked well (1000's of images) until I introduced the solid background.

Auto Level and or Auto Color blow my pictures out. The subject (baby) looses skin tone, becomes blotchy and overall, looks like crap. What am I doing wrong?

Is is the solid color (white) that is throwing the Auto Level process off? I have tried to run the process only on the subject, excluding the background but it never turns our right. This is becoming frustrating.

What can I do to properly retouch the photo? Is the key NOT to use a solid background? Should I meter different?

Like I said, the pictures appear to be well exposed so I am not asking for a miracle ... help.

it would help if you post an example, the people on here are very friendly & will always help if they can. Some may even give you step by step instructions on how to achieve the results you are looking for.

Comment

You might try, instead of Auto Levels, using the Auto function from within the Levels dialog. This allows a much greater degree of control (under Options). Of particular interest are the clipping points, which you can raise or lower and set as defaults if you wish.

An excellent description of the various options can be found here.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• myfairies
        Softbox, please help!
        by myfairies
        I just bought a softbox tent cube with 4 lights 50w each. I have a digital Canon PowerShot A710IS and I'm trying to learn.....

I was very disappointed to see that the result has nothing to see with what I expected.

Expecially the light: the white of the box turn in a sort...
        01-04-2008, 09:50 AM
      • larsfass
        Urgent help needed! Background color matching
        by larsfass
        Im working on a series of images from a photoshoot.

I am having massive problems with getting the background of each image to match with one another. Each image seems to have a slightly different shade background, so basically they all look inconsistent together.

Is there...
        02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
      • ilegales
        Quicker way to seperate White shirts on white bkg
        by ilegales
        i am retouching some kids who are wearing white shirts and shot on a white background

i want to make the whole background pure white 255.255.255 but still to keep the small shadows from their bodies /chairs

i am currently using the replace colour but wanted to know if theres...
        10-12-2009, 08:22 AM
      • misterlondon
        Photo taken on light background > dark background
        by misterlondon
        Hi,

I'm working on a project which involves placing a variety of photos of people (men + women) onto a black background.

The photos I have to use are all reasonable quality from stock libraries, and vary from studio shots taken on dark/black backgrounds, to outside shots...
        08-26-2011, 06:41 AM
      • Pinup
        Help with background
        by Pinup
        Hi there! I have been struggling trying to get this look for my pinup photos..I want the lighter spot (behind the model, not the snow flakes) in my background but cannot figure out how this is done! I have tried dodgeing. painting it with a brush..I can't figure out how to put it behind the model..I...
        01-31-2010, 11:48 PM
      Working...
      X