Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS color replacement how to question.

Hi,

I've taken a photo of a mother holding a child with the mother's back facing the camera. The mother was wearing something similar to a lace/net material top (in brown) and the picture shows part of her bra strap in white. I wish to replace the white color (underneath the lace/net top).

How should I acheive this in PS? I've tried the Replace Color function which allow me to select the White color bit beneath her top.... but I don't know to replace the selection areas with the color I want color of her skin).

Can any one please advise me te steps to acheive this via PS?
    Many thanks in advance.

Anon,

Could you post a sample for us to work with?

Comment

PS color replacement how to question.

I don't know how my last thread was closed, so I am reposting this again in hope that I can find some help.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------
      Hi,

I've taken a photo of a mother holding a child with the mother's back facing the camera. The mother was wearing something similar to a lace/net material top (in brown) and the picture shows part of her bra strap in white. I wish to replace the white color (underneath the lace/net top).

How should I acheive this in PS? I've tried the Replace Color function which allow me to select the White color bit beneath her top.... but I don't know to replace the selection areas with the color I want color of her skin).

Can any one please advise me te steps to acheive this via PS?
      Many thanks in advance.

here is an example of the image I was referring to:
      http://home.iprimus.com.au/david_d/2408-web.jpgPhoto sample
      Last edited by anon_uno; 10-27-2003, 10:01 PM.

Comment

I don't know why the thread was closed. I'll assume it was as accident. I merged the two threads.

This was an interesting situation. I ended up copying a section of lace where the skin was darker (see the marquee outline, that wouldn't normally still be there, but i recreated it so you could see where I got the sample), duping it twice and aligning them so I had one long sample. (layer 1)

Then I positioned it in place, masked it off, then added a gradient grouped layer set to luminosity to give it a more realistic transition. (layer 2)
        Attached Files
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Doug,

Thanks very much for the explaination on how you got there. It's something that didn't cross my mind..... I was always imaging that it would be along the line of selecting the white color, than replace the color with the color of the skin.

I will give this one a try. Thanks again.

Comment

I tried a different tack - used various iterations of Select -> Color Range plus some manual editing to end up with a selection of the bra strap, then used that to generate a layer mask for an empty layer. Then painted on the empty layer with lots of sampling of the skin color with a soft brush at low opacity, building up the effect.

Then went back to the original layer, did a Select -> Color Range on the brown lace, copied just the lace into a new layer and put that on top of the painted layer I'd been working on to reinforce the structure of the lace.
            Attached Files

Comment

By the way, anon, I forgot to mention what a great picture this is! I love the tonality on the baby.
              Learn by teaching
              Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Doug,

Thanks. Trying to have this fixed so I can get a hardcopy for the mother.

Comment

Working...
                X