What are these photos called and what lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these photos called and what lighting

did the photographer use? I've come across these photos of H&M and I love them. I wish I could make some quick portraits with a similar style although I have no idea where I should start. I'm not a professional photographer or photo, by the way.

http://lp.hm.com/hmprod?set=key%5Bso...oduct/large%5D

http://lp.hm.com/hmprod?set=key%5Bso...oduct/large%5D

I thought some of you guys might know what these kind of photos are called so I can search for behind the scenes videos.

Re: What are these photos called and what lighting

I am also not a pro photographer, but these seem like pretty standard softbox shots to me. Is there something inparticular you're looking at?
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
      I am also not a pro photographer, but these seem like pretty standard softbox shots to me. Is there something inparticular you're looking at?
      They are, but they are also retouched. The models would have been masked out to whiten the background overall. Each piece of clothing was definitely color balanced on its own. It's really the only way to get the right color sometimes. They're product shots for a website, so they're probably on a tight retouching timeline.

Comment

Although I'm late replying to this, here is my two cents worth. The shots are probably initially taken with a color checker and gray cards. That makes it easier once the photographer gets the lighting right to minimize post processing. It also is easier to set white balance in camera with a color checker of some kind, again minimizing color problems in post processing. Anything that can be done in camera or with lighting is done. Product shots like these can be managed in a short amount of time; and the retoucher is left with a bit less to do. A good photographer can get pretty much what he/she wants in camera.

To answer the question about lighting. It is FLAT lighting.

Comment