100MP Raw Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100MP Raw Files

I downloaded sample 100MP Raw Files (IQ3) - and my first question was - "OMG, how long it is going to take me to retouch one image?" What is your opinion?

Regards, Filip

Re: 100MP Raw Files

Depends on your computer and on how much you tend to save your files. If you have a good powerful computer you should be fine. If you save a lot and you're not running RAID-0 or RAID-5 or SSD then that might be a bottleneck.

On the flip side, saving often means not losing work if something goes wrong.

Comment

I din't mean troubles with computer but imagine a beauty retouch - D&B for example. That file is so huge... It is same as you would retouch your usual file zoomed to 300%. And everything is pretty sharp and visible. You can see all imperfections and you need to give it much more time.

Comment

As I said in a similar post. More resolution=bigger bill.

Comment

I would not be closer than 50% most of the time. I would consider whether the smallest details will in fact be visible in the final reproduction. I would avoid the use of sharpening as much as possible, because it's unlikely that it would really justify the same level of it.

Comment

Here you can find link to sample RAW files:

https://digitaltransitions.com/first...7683-160777761

Personally, I would be afraid to work at 50% zoom level.

Comment

There comes a point when you ask the client what do you need this for? And 90% of the time it's an A4 print or 1024 web image, so they just agree for you to work on a 20 mpix version.

No matter how minute it is, things will show when downsizing after retouching, rather then before. Of course, you can't just make it bigger again after the fact.

Comment

Yes, you are right. But there is no point to use this camera for final A4 image. Imagine how much money client spent on shooting and than you will try to suggest to him you will retouch A4 file only. BTW. that exported 100% image is perfect.

Comment

Klev - you don't need to sharpen this file anyway =) (it is a joke but you will understand after you will see it opened in PS)

Comment

There are other reasons to shoot 100 or 50 mpix. Like:
                    1.cropping afterwards
                    2.compositing(even within the shoot, you maybe like the arm on the wider crop, but want it on the tighter image, no problem)
                    3.having the option of higher res
                    4.using the files later(shoot good hair once, have it on reference or whatever else, like flowing fabric etc).

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                      There are other reasons to shoot 100 or 50 mpix. Like:
                      1.cropping afterwards
                      2.compositing(even within the shoot, you maybe like the arm on the wider crop, but want it on the tighter image, no problem)
                      3.having the option of higher res
                      4.using the files later(shoot good hair once, have it on reference or whatever else, like flowing fabric etc).
                      Good "old school" photographer doesn't need to crop his image too much. He is pretty sure what he is getting straight from the camera. But I can imagine how these images will look on the wall after printing at 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by creativeretouch View Post
                        Klev - you don't need to sharpen this file anyway =) (it is a joke but you will understand after you will see it opened in PS)
                        I no longer have an up to date capture one, so I'll sit this comparison out. I don't do this stuff day to day anymore, so it's not really necessary for me to keep everything updated.

Comment

Klev, you should be able to use a new trial version.

Comment

Another link with TIFF files:
                            https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products...aspx#tim_video

Comment

Originally posted by creativeretouch View Post
                              Thanks. You're my hero.

Edit: Those have some incredible detail. I wish they disabled sharpening though. It hardly seems like they require it, yet I could see signs of it being applied.
                              Last edited by klev; 01-18-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment