Emphasising the focal point within photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emphasising the focal point within photograph

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on post processing to help with lleading the eye to the important part of an image.

In traditional art painters often begin designing their artwork with a value study - a simplified thumbnail sketch where they'll block out of the scene in just a few greyscale values. Often the most successful images are often those with a simple arrangement of values. After sticking a gradient map adjustment layer (spit into solid 0, 33, 75, 100% black) onto successful images and less-successful ones I've learnt that this is very much the case.

When painting, there is a lot of scope to simplify areas of the image that are not meant to draw attention but am wondering whether anyone gives much thought to this when processing their photographic images? And whether you only use intuition or have found some tricks/formulas along the way?

I've learnt that certain lighting directions will only work when a building facade is composed of glass or a simple arrangement of components for the above reason - would love to share some ideas.

Re: Emphasising the focal point within photograph

Intuition is the accumulation of skill and knowledge. Yes, all art books apply.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• John Newton
      David Hockney's "Secret Knowledge"
      by John Newton
      I just got a new book yesterday called "Secret Knowledge" by the artist David Hockney. I've only read through the first third, but basically, Hockney spent two years researching the last 500 years of Western painting. His hypothesis is that many of the great painters used optical devices,...
      09-04-2002, 01:21 PM
    • Doug Nelson
      Posterizing, Posterization thoughts and ideas
      by Doug Nelson
      I've been fiddling with a few ideas of my own, and it seems to me that many from-scratch art techniques would need to start with some sort of posterization.

I'm wondering if there isn't some technique where you can not only posterize an image, but each posterization level would be put...
      06-03-2002, 11:56 PM
    • Doug Nelson
      But is it "Art"? (part II)
      by Doug Nelson
      A recent conversation with a friend got me thinking about this subject again. I knew there was an excellent thread on this subject here already so I looked it up. Though it's still one of my favorite threads, it was concentrating on the commercial aspects (it's over in the Work/Jobs forum if you're...
      06-09-2003, 03:11 AM
    • Blindv
      Thoughts?
      by Blindv
      I've recently started tinkering with a "Run of the Mill" Cannon XT, and wanted to get some thoughts on some of these images.

Thanks in advance for the use of your eyes.

Put To Pasture

Redness Revealed

Time Machine
      05-30-2008, 09:50 PM
    • clare
      Art Therapy
      by clare
      I was just curious as to whether anyone has used art as a form of therapy, and if you found it useful?

I have been reading about art as therapy and the whole subject is fasinating. Any thoughts would be very interesting

Clare
      03-13-2003, 06:25 PM
    Working...
    X