X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen calibration with different luminance values

Hi,
    I use ACR and Photoshop for my editing.
    Lately I upgraded my screen and calibrated it to the general standard 120 cd/m2, 6500 K and gamma 2.2.
    The value 120 cd/m2 from a larger screen made it a bit harder to look at the screen for hours. So I began wondering why this value, 120 cd/m2, has been chosen as a common standard - AND if it would harm my images if I used e.g. 90 cd/m2 while others would still look at them at 120 cd/m2 (?)

This is my thought experiment:

If I select the value 254 for a highlight in a specific image with my screen calibrated to 120 cd/m2, I'll have to push the exposure slider to the value e.
    If I do the same with my screen calibrated to 90 cd/m2 I'll need to push the exposure slider to e+g to reach the value 254 for the same highlight.

So, for the same image I'll end up with two xmp files with different exposure values.

Question:
    Will those two images look identical on a screen calibrated to 120 cd/m2 - or will the e+g version now show 255+ in the highlights ???

This is out of my area, sorry. Let's hope Chris Tarantino is around. He's your man for that kind of thing.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Then I am looking forward to Chris Tarantino coming around. Is their any way to accelerate that happening - e.g. by forwarding a link to him?

Comment

Not really. You can try messaging him here if he has that enabled (click on his name in any forum post), but I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do it.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• AdamZx3
          Recomended cd/m2 brightness?
          AdamZx3
          by AdamZx3
          I just finished setting up my new monitor and was wondering what is the proper brightness for an lcd? The monitor is an 24" Eizo CE coloredge. I will be using it for photography and retouching mostly for output to the web and some print from a local higher end print lab.

This is...
          09-22-2007, 02:24 AM
        • garfield
          cd write problem
          garfield
          by garfield
          HI! I have a problem with the cd write i did, why is it some of the exe in installer that I cd writed disappeared? When i open it it says that "this is not a win32 application" when in fact in the original it is ok? how was this?
          11-22-2002, 04:45 AM
        • ggiannini
          Todd Morrison CD
          ggiannini
          by ggiannini
          If same one have the CD
          I have to ask a question about the Advanced II CD of retouching.
          Thank you
          06-22-2004, 01:41 PM
        • Marni
          Help!!! My pictures are missing
          Marni
          by Marni
          I have a question that I HOPE someone can answer for me. I have been working on photo's and then saving them to my hard drive. I got a little nervous about putting all that information there in case of a crash and thought it would be a good idea to move them over to a CD. I saved them all in "Direct...
          08-15-2001, 08:55 PM
        • Linda15
          Changing properties on Read-only files
          Linda15
          by Linda15
          After I have saved a file to a CD (rewritable) I am unable to move it to another CD, or even delete it as the response is
          "Read-only" file. I have attempted to change the properties and uncheck the "read-only" box; When I click on apply, an error message comes up with "Error...
          06-01-2002, 10:37 AM
        Working...
        X