Re: RP LIVE: "Beauty Masking" with Chris Tarantino

Perfect. I'll internet see you there

Comment

• Doug Nelson
      Janitor
      Patron
      • Aug 2001

The ticket sales link will close in 1 hour.
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• Doug Nelson
        Janitor
        Patron
        • Aug 2001

The ticket sales link is now closed.

Here's a helpful page if you have audio problems (scroll 2/3 down)

If you haven't received your confirmation email, check your spam folder.

Come back to this thread after the show and tell us your thoughts about it. Also, give us your requests for future shows with Chris Tarantino.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• jenniferfrances
          • Jan 2007

I connected at 4pm. It says "waiting for organizer" it is now 4:17...hmmmm
          Did I do something wrong?

Comment

• Flashtones
            • Apr 2009

uh oh, I just paid with 40 mins to go. Will I get in?

Jennifer, 4pm CDT is 5pm eastern time.

Comment

• skydog
              • Jan 2006

Have you planned a rebroadcast?

Comment

• skydog
                • Jan 2006

so folks..how was it?

Comment

• uwfotoguy
                  • Jun 2009

GREAT show!!! Some excellent tips on using channels to create ultra accurate masks.
                  Thanks Chris it was wonderful, can't wait until the next one.
                  Last edited by uwfotoguy; 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• Cyberek
                    • Dec 2007

As it is for me... I have found this webinar quite interesting, but You could found most of the stuff here:
                    Tony Kuyper - Luminescence masking
                    Or maybe not most, but the general idea and technique is described there, and the way You will use it depends on Yours needs.

Comment

• elboertjie
                      • Jun 2007

Thank you Chris for a great show and for sharing wonderful informtaion with all of us; I appreciate it.

I will have to practice quite a bit to fine-tune all this advise that you have dispensed and am sure that with the accumulation of experience, I too can hone in on this technique.

At some stage during the presentation, I felt as if my memory buffer was overflowing, so I quickly have to start playing with these ideas to make it more part of me as to only part of my memory.

What confused me a bit was the inverted histogram, but I resigned to the idea that I would make sense of it on my own once I use the histogram the other way around. I always wondered why there was an option to see it in reverse, and now I know it is for folk who is more used to pigment-side of colour as opposed to the light-side of colour.

What I feel you could have explained a bit more, was the overall objective of the photo and what our goal with it was. As I see it now, we focussed on techniques only, and not so much on the goal of the final image and then using techniques on getting to it. This way, we could start with the original image and build layers ontop of it all in line to reach the final image we desire and thus we can see why certain techniques are being used in conjunction with others. As it was, I feel it was lots of techniques standing on their own as opposed to an over-all story or idea holding them together.

Some questions from me:
                      1. I notice that the books you have published is getting a bit old in terms of Photoshop years; are you planning on releasing anything newer soon?

2. You mentioned that if you had a PC instead of an Apple, you would not be where you are right now. Why is that?

Regards,
                      Jacques

P.S. Thank you for answering my questions during the show and hope your weathered feeling is gone soon.

Comment

• ladytx
                        • Jan 2008

Will this be offered as a video that we can pay to see at our own chosen time?

Comment

• leuallen
                          • Sep 2004

Cyberek, Kuyper's method is simialr. One difference is that Kuyper makes intermediate alpha masks and Chris creates by selections and then from that the final mask on the adj layer. No intermediate alpha masks. This can be significant. I recently had a large pano which when flattened was still 1.3GB. Finally remembered that I made a bunch of lum alpha channels which were still in the file. Erased those and the file size went down to about 300mb.

Larry

Comment

• cricket1961
                            • Apr 2005

elboertjie

I hope that the confusion with the reversed histogram in the curves dialog box makes sense soon. It really is just a matter of thinking of it flipped over. But you don't have to have your curves set the way that mine were. It all still works with it set to default settings.
                            Also, the objective of the show was to show how to do masking. Nothing really beyond that point.

Yes my books are getting a bit old. And yes, I am starting a book now that is more up to date. The book is set for a May 2010 release.
                            My comment regarding the windows machine is not meant to infer that retouching cannot be done on a windows machine. When I started retouching using a computer I had been putting off any kind of digital abilities because I was a bit intimidated by the DOS command line etc. It was all way to logical for me and I was a bit to lazy to really want to learn it.

Cyberek

Tony Krupers techniques are indeed similar to what I do. As I said towards the end of the webinar, there are others who do use this technique out there and I didn't think calling it the Chris technique was the way to go. The difference between what I do and what Tony does is that it can be used to select colors also not just tonal regions. I can and might get into showing that at another webinar but I thought it might be way to much info all at once to recall.

As with anything anyone is going to show in a webinar, any info is out there to find. But who knows what to think about if they don't know that something like that capability exists?
                            Thats all I am trying to do, and I suspect others also. Showing you what can be done with something that you might not have thought about or even thought possible.

Chris

Comment

• amica999
                              • Aug 2007

Chris, I have created the selective color presets as you pointed out - they work great by the way. Is there an easier way to get them as functional masks? My workflow is, create selective color AL, for example too much red, than with that layer selected goto the channels, ctrl-click on the rgb, go back to layers palette and open a curve AL with that selection...Is that your workflow as well, looked simpler last night

Comment

• cricket1961
                                • Apr 2005

Yes it is that simple. But, if you know you are going after the red, yellow etc you could just make an action to do it all for you including the selection to mask to adjustment layer.

Chris

Comment