Basic Image Correction with Frequency Separation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basic Image Correction with Frequency Separati

I'm guessing what Stroker is referring to when he talks about medium frequencies is further splitting the low frequency into even lower frequency (which will be the new low) and the low's high frequency (aka medium frequency).
    Experimenting with different blurs is also quite interesting. But don't limit yourself to blurring filters only, since the technique itself is basically not limited to frequency separation, but just finding the difference between two layers and adding it back together, you can also use sharpen filters, artistic filters or even cloud filters. Your fantasy is the limit

Comment

I have been using this technique off and on for a while. I'm not convinced it's "all that" when it comes to retouching and I think that basically the spot healing brush, dodge & burn and the clone stamp used on a new layer are still the goto techniques though obviously they can be combined with freq separation. I think freq separation's real power is in color correcting images because you can paint underneath the high freq layer to make color corrections to the image.

IMO however, the technique is flawed in that the current techniques for splitting the layers into high and low cannot discern true texture from luminance. What this means is that you will get shadows up on your high freq layer which are not true skin flaws or texture. Then, if you want to retouch or color correct those areas, you need to do additional work.

Not saying it's not a useful technique but that it's often seen as a panacea of retouching but in reality it's just another tool that can be useful but is not the one-size-fits-all methodology.

Comment

Is the frequency separation another way of doing the retouching in photoshop or its just as the normal retouching technique?

Comment

Great tutorial thanks for sharing...

Comment

Working...
          X